Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Hundreds of files need manual preparation. Does shell script could do it automatically? Post 302945646 by liuzhencc on Monday 1st of June 2015 09:10:02 AM
Old 06-01-2015
Hundreds of files need manual preparation. Does shell script could do it automatically?

Hello friends,

I have hundreds files in hand, which need extract some data from logs and read these data into an input file.
Here I will explain in detail using these two files as attached. read some data from .log file and write it into the .in file.
**explanation is given inside two stars**

Here shows the final .in file:
Code:
Title of the job
feco4_s **it needs to be replaced by the name of log file**
Important Comment: The number of lines in the input file, and the
   *exact* typography for text input needs to be *rigorously* followed !!!!!!!!!
Temperatures (Next two lines: "List", or "Interval", then no of temps.)
   List
Values (If "Interval", give start and finish temp.)
Pressure (in atm or bar - if given in atm, enter as a negative number. -1 is the G09 default)
Calculated properties of the species (e.g. from Gaussian output)
Electronic Energy
 -1715.8231094  **grep "SCF Done:" will get this number, but always use the number from the last line. there could be a lot of these matches **
Nature of species (Atom = 0, Linear = 1, or General = 3)
Rotational factor (symmetry factor)
  2. **grep "Rotational symmetry number"; all the matches will give the same number, use the number here and put a dot at the end**
Electronic degeneracy (multiplicity)
  1. **grep "Multiplicity"; all the matches will give the same number, use the number here and put a dot at the end**
Molecular Weight (amu)
167.91460 ** grep "Molecular mass" **
Moments of Inertia (in amu x au2; none for Atom, 1 for Linear, 3 for General)
2170.19761 **grep "     Eigenvalues -- "; here is very tricky; three numbers are given without any space, 
which means we need extract three numbers from a string of numbers and dots. the number are always with five digits follows the each dot, 
no matter how many digits in the integer parts**
Vibrational Frequencies (first line: number; then freqs. in cm-1)
  21 ** grep " Frequencies -- "; will show a list of numbers; 
remove the first column of text and put all the numbers from three columns into a single column. 
it doesn't matter what the sequence is. the number in the first line is the 'total number' of the numbers below**

I understand this is non trivial work to do it with bash. probably it's better to do it using python or some other advanced programming languages. However, I don't know any of them. I have done some preparations to search these data from log and manually put these data into the .in file. However, there are still hundreds of them waiting to be prepared.
If you could give me some help on this point, it would be save me from desperation. I thank you very much for your kind help in advance! All your help will be much appreciated! Thanks.
Zhen

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to automatically check ports in shell?

Good day, I'm new to linux environment...Is there any scripts available for me to check ports (lets say port 80 and 21) through shell with just a single commandline? Any response is very much appreciated.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsonist
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run shell script automatically

hi , i m trying to run bash scrip automaticially but i dont know how i can do this an anybody tell me how i can autorun shell script when i logon . thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahir23
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to invoke options automatically

i have a script which has 2 options. a b And a has 6 sub options. i want to write a script which will call the parent script and give options automatically. examle: linasplg11:/opt/ss/kk/01.00/bin # startup.sh /opt/ss/rdm/01.00 Please select the component to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically format Shell Script (bash)

Hi In TOAD I can write SQL code, then select the SQL code -> Menu Edit -> Format Code The output is well formatted code (correct indent, ...) Is there a tool (for Windows and/or UNIX) what can do the same for bash code? TOAD (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to automatically download files

I am new to shell scripting and need to write a program to copy files that are posted as links on a specific url. I want all the links copied with the same file name and the one posted on the webpage containing the url onto a specific directory. That is the first part. The second part of the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Renaming hundreds of files at the same time

Hi, I am having issues trying to figure out how to rename files like this: TEST1_B.tt To SQP_CAN_B.tt I have hundreds of files like those, I need to rename them automatically. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to connect to hundreds of nodes and grep log files

Hi, What will be the best way to connect (ssh) to hundreds of nodes and grep log files parallely from shell. Using for loop seems to be sequential. Are there any shell built in construct which could be used to achieve this? Is the sub shell any good here? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agent001
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add code to hundreds of .html files

Need assistance to add code to hundreds of .html Code will look like below and needs to be added below <html> tag: <script> Some .js code here </script> This will be used in Fedora release 7 (Moonshine). I will appreciate any type of help and/or orientation. Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
4 Replies