Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create file from script shell Post 302945571 by RudiC on Sunday 31st of May 2015 04:39:45 PM
Old 05-31-2015
A non-existent file will be created upon redirection, i.e. both the operators > and >> will open a "fresh" file for output. Be aware that >> will append to an existing file.

touch filename will create an empty file independently.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create csv file using shell script

I have a file in multiple directory which has some records in the following format File: a/latest.txt , b/latest.txt, c/latest.txt -> Name=Jhon Age=27 Gender=M Street=LA Road Occupation=Service I want to generate a csv file from the above file as follows File: output.csv -> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjk2504
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script for create a a file in the respective path

Hello forum members, I have to create a out file in the current path./aaa/bbb/ccc/hhh. i am writing script below. ###script Begins##### #!/bin/ksh echo "Weclome" if then echo "Hello" rm -rf $aaa/bbb/ccc/hhh #clean the exsisting o/p file echo "no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass tablenames from a file to shell script to execute create statement in DB2

Hi, I am new to Shell Scripting, and I need to create nicknames for 600 tables in db2. I have the file names in a text file and i have to pass these table names to a shell script create nicknames in db2. Can some one please help me in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamalanaatha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create shell script to extract unique information from one file to a new file.

Hi to all, I got this content/pattern from file http.log.20110808.gz mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close igchung@abc.com 2011/8/7 7:37:36 0:00:03 0 0 1 mail1 httpd: Account Information: login sastria9@abc.com proxy sid=gFp4DLm5HnU mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close sastria9@abc.com... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
16 Replies

5. Programming

create a spool file based on values passed from korn shell to sql script

this is my issue. 4 parameters are passed from korn shell to sql script. parameter_1= varchar2 datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_2= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_3= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_4= number datatype or no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create multiple file using shell script

HI, i created the below script to create the multiple files, iam not getting the required output, Please advice. #!/bin/sh v_date=$1 # argument will come as daymonthyear eg : 151112 v_day=`echo $v_date | cut -c 1-2` v_mon=`echo $v_date | cut -c 3-4` v_year=`echo $v_date | cut -c 5-6`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagguvarma
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a shell script to read a foldername from a text file and go to the folder?

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script which can read folder names from a text file and then go to the folder and picks up a xml file and write on my sipp script so that I can run the sipp script. For example: I have a text file called thelist.txt where I have provided all the folders... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pm1504
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Create excel file(.csv) using shell script?

Hi, i have shell script which compiles n number of test cases and execute them one by one. i want to create report in excel through script in which two columns namely "test id" and "release".second column have two subcolumns namely compiles and excutes. so i want first column should display test... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamMore123
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
IPC::Run::IO(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   IPC::Run::IO(3)

NAME
IPC::Run::IO -- I/O channels for IPC::Run. SYNOPSIS
NOT IMPLEMENTED YET ON Win32! Win32 does not allow select() on normal file descriptors; IPC::RUN::IO needs to use IPC::Run::Win32Helper to do this. use IPC::Run qw( io ); ## The sense of '>' and '<' is opposite of perl's open(), ## but agrees with IPC::Run. $io = io( "filename", '>', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", 'r', $recv ); ## Append to $recv: $io = io( "filename", '>>', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", 'ra', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", '<', $send ); $io = io( "filename", 'w', $send ); $io = io( "filename", '<<', $send ); $io = io( "filename", 'wa', $send ); ## Handles / IO objects that the caller opens: $io = io( *HANDLE, '<', $send ); $f = IO::Handle->new( ... ); # Any subclass of IO::Handle $io = io( $f, '<', $send ); require IPC::Run::IO; $io = IPC::Run::IO->new( ... ); ## Then run(), harness(), or start(): run $io, ...; ## You can, of course, use io() or IPC::Run::IO->new() as an ## argument to run(), harness, or start(): run io( ... ); DESCRIPTION
This class and module allows filehandles and filenames to be harnessed for I/O when used IPC::Run, independent of anything else IPC::Run is doing (except that errors & exceptions can affect all things that IPC::Run is doing). SUBCLASSING
INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: due to the awkwardness introduced in ripping pseudohashes out of Perl, this class no longer uses the fields pragma. SUBROUTINES
new I think it takes >> or << along with some other data. TODO: Needs more thorough documentation. Patches welcome. filename Gets/sets the filename. Returns the value after the name change, if any. init Does initialization required before this can be run. This includes open()ing the file, if necessary, and clearing the destination scalar if necessary. open If a filename was passed in, opens it. Determines if the handle is open via fileno(). Throws an exception on error. open_pipe If this is a redirection IO object, this opens the pipe in a platform independent manner. close Closes the handle. Throws an exception on failure. fileno Returns the fileno of the handle. Throws an exception on failure. mode Returns the operator in terms of 'r', 'w', and 'a'. There is a state 'ra', unlike Perl's open(), which indicates that data read from the handle or file will be appended to the output if the output is a scalar. This is only meaningful if the output is a scalar, it has no effect if the output is a subroutine. The redirection operators can be a little confusing, so here's a reference table: > r Read from handle in to process < w Write from process out to handle >> ra Read from handle in to process, appending it to existing data if the destination is a scalar. << wa Write from process out to handle, appending to existing data if IPC::Run::IO opened a named file. op Returns the operation: '<', '>', '<<', '>>'. See "mode" if you want to spell these 'r', 'w', etc. binmode Sets/gets whether this pipe is in binmode or not. No effect off of Win32 OSs, of course, and on Win32, no effect after the harness is start()ed. dir Returns the first character of $self->op. This is either "<" or ">". poll TODO: Needs confirmation that this is correct. Was previously undocumented. I believe this is polling the IO for new input and then returns undef if there will never be any more input, 0 if there is none now, but there might be in the future, and TRUE if more input was gotten. AUTHOR
Barrie Slaymaker <barries@slaysys.com> TODO
Implement bidirectionality. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-01 IPC::Run::IO(3)