Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash variable and cp commands (Solaris 10) Post 302945433 by sea on Friday 29th of May 2015 10:13:51 AM
Old 05-29-2015
Hello purct and welcome to the forum.
Please use CODE tags (that icon with the text 'code' on it), for each of the code segments, which you agreed upon joining the forum.

Other than that, you are trying (not limited to this example) to overwrite $PKGDIR with the script uninstall$VERSION.sh by 'forcing' it using -f.
The -f toggle usualy is used to overwrite without asking if the target file is already existing, however, since the target you passed is a directory, it will fail.

On the terminal you probably 'missed' to type the -f.

Hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from outside of bash

Hello all! I have two consoles.I know the PID of these two.Now I want to execute a command in console#1 but from console#2. How can I achieve this? Anyone can do something for my query? Click here if you can't understand my query or to know the need for this query. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakabarp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running BASH commands from a variable

I am trying to assign a command to a variable and use it. I have tried every possible quoting variation except the correct one. :confused: Here is an example: CMD="grep description $i | grep "::"" $CMD | nawk ...Thanks in advance for you help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aschera
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripts as commands

Hello, the bulk of my work is run by scripts. An example is as such: #!/bin/bash awk '{print first line}' Input.in > Intermediate.ter awk '{print second line}' Input.in > Intermediate_2.ter command Intermediate.ter Intermediate_2.ter > Output.out It works the way I want it to, but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine several commands in a bash script

Hi all, I have large files with url-s ending on "|<number>" which is the Page Rank for the website as shown in the example below http://www.machinokairo.com/2012/05/post-39.html|2 I am using "grep" to sort out all url-s in a particular way: first, remove all ending on "|0" and write the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize bash commands/jobs

Hello, I have a bunch of jobs (cp, cat or ln -s) on big files (10xGB in size): # commands_script.sh: cp file1 path1/newfile1 cp file2 path1/newfile2 cp file3 path1/newfile3 ...... cat file11 path2/file21 path1/newfile11 cat file12 path2/file22 path1/newfile12 cat file13 path2/file23... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using commands within bash script

The purpose of enclosed script is to execute selected command and output success or failure in whiptail msgBox Works as expected when command returns zero to msgBox. I cannot figure out how to continue / automate my script when command expects reply to continue / terminate. I am doing it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies
installer(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     installer(1M)

NAME
installer - Solaris Web Start installer utility SYNOPSIS
installer [-locales list] [-nodisplay] [-noconsole] [-debug] DESCRIPTION
The installer utility invokes a Web Start install wizard sequence which will lead the user through a sequence of installation panels. This installer utility is found on many CDs that are shipped with Solaris and it will be found among the top level files of these CDs. When the installer is on a CD being accessed from a desktop file manager, the installer can be double clicked to start the installation sequence. If the user is not currently the system's root user, the root user password will be requested. The installer utility can also be run from other UNIX scripts. Usually, a script is used in conjunction with the utility's -nodis- play option. Add the -noconsole option for non-interactive scripts. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -locales list Selects product translations for install, corresponding to the specified list of locales if the specified locale transla- tions are present on the installation media. Locales are supplied in a comma-separated list following the -locales option. An example list would appear as follows: installer -locales fr,de,it This would install products with translations for the French, German, and Italian locales. -nodisplay Runs the install without a graphical user interface. Use the default product install unless it was modified by the -locales options. -noconsole Run the install without any interactive text console device. Useful when paired with -nodisplay for non-interactive UNIX script use. -debug Outputs extra information about what the install is doing. Mainly for install diagnostic purposes. FILES
/var/sadm/install/logs location of installation log files SEE ALSO
prodreg(1M) SunOS 5.10 11 December 2001 installer(1M)