Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Losing Time
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Losing Time Post 302945399 by edfair on Thursday 28th of May 2015 11:49:10 PM
Old 05-29-2015
Made a good part of my living over the years putting SCO on some of the cheapest hardware parts available after seeing how the suppliers were over specifying the hardware. Based on that experience I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the hardware is the issue.

If it was a customer of mine I would install another hard drive on a Friday afternoon, reload the OS, then check the time on Monday morning to see if it was in fact a hardware issue. Then restore the system. But that also ignores a more basic question, is this a new thing or has it been going on for a while?

If the time loss is within a reasonable amount you could set a crontab to reboot the system at a reasonable hour (system time) before real time for the backup. That would get the RTC transferred in to insure the backup was done at close to the proper time. This assuming, of course, that the reboot wouldn't crash something else that hadn't been shut down properly.

Last edited by edfair; 05-29-2015 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: add possible workaround

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing Time/Time cloclk

:confused: :confused: :confused: I have a voicemail system that runs on Unix, I am new to unix:rolleyes: . However the manual I have informs me that the unix clock loses three seconds every day, and I have to perform a sync at the end of the month. My questions are simple 1. Is this generic... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdauk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

losing time

Hi all, The server seems to be losing time, not a lot, but enough to be noticed. UNIX AIX 4.3.3 Any ideas, Kathy (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing ownership with gzip

I'm trying to sell the use of gzip instead of compress in our department. One issue I'm having (which is a showstopper) is that I lose the ownership when gzipping and gunzipping, though it's mentioned all over the web that files are supposed to keep ownership. Example: -rwxrwxrwx 1 ms32345 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing zero in while read

I'm using a while read statement to read in lines from a file, if a value (for example) is 1000.10 in a field, the last zero is removed leaving 1000.1 does anyone know a way to keep the field as it is in the original file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Losing my solaris virginity

So here's the scoop. I am working on a project to automate the building of spark based solaris servers. I've got a cursory amount of knowledge of how to use the os after some pretty heavy experience with Linux, and doing a similar project there. I have a few questions though... 1) how is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing quotes after redirection

Hello experts, Pleas I have written a shell script to build a parfile but I keep losing the quotes from query1 and query variables after the redirection.. How do I fix this ? PARFILE=${EXPDP_BASE}/expdp_${DAY}.par USERID=$(${ORACLE_BASE}/getpass.ksh SYSTEM opnlkp2.uk.ml.com)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

losing ESSID

Hey guys, facing a weird issue - hoping someone might be able to help. The wireless network on my laptop is configured with a static IP address. (not using nm) When i take the laptop out of the range (or i power the router down) the essid is becoming "off/any". When i'm back in range the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshe88
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

losing mail enroute

system is HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 A standard feature of almost all of our cron jobs is to redirect output to a log file, then at the end of the script to embed the contents of that log file in the body of an email sent to the IT staff. Typical code to do this is $MAILER -s "$PROC: $SUBJECT"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
3 Replies

9. Programming

Losing signal problem

I'm newbie in UNIX programming, I have a problem with signals. I'm writing multithread program, where threads can die at any moment. When thread dies it generates signal SIGUSR1 to main thread and then thread dies. Main thread gets a signal and waits for thread dead. I wrote program like this: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DendyGamer
5 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Losing the connection

Hi. Recently when I'm logged in to site after some seconds, for instance, I lose the connection and need sign in again. It happens on Firefox and Chrome. Or another example, when I'm logged in to site and click on my nick name (right up corner) I lose the connection to site. User: tiago ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)