Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Special IF construct syntax in UNIX Post 302944817 by sea on Friday 22nd of May 2015 08:08:21 AM
Old 05-22-2015
Code:
[[ true || ! false ]] && echo yay || echo oh no

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting info from Unix database to construct a visual diagram

Ok heres the situation, We use Solaris 8 at work with Sybase for the db. I need to be able to easily create visual diagrams of some of our more complex systems. I've been using Visio which is such a manual process and takes a while. I was thinking maybe using Visio somehow in conjunction... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusion99
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file does not display special characters

We have a unix file that contains special characters (ie. Ñ, °, É, ¿ , £ , ø ). When I try to read this file I get a codepage error and the characters are replaced by the # symbol. How do I keep the special characters from being read? Thanks. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in the if construct

Hi can anyone tell me why is this code giving error mode=$1 if ] || ] then echo "MODES:" exit 1 fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if-else construct

Hi all i have been trying to do a small 'question and answer' script using if-else statement and a combination of pipe. I have succeeded in allowing the user to login with user name and password stored in a sequence username/password in a file named "pass" like this: echo "please enter your... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arikutex
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Special files

Hi, I'm looking for information about UNIX Special Files. I must write an essay connected with this topic, and I hope you'll tell me where can I found trusty information about it, because Google doesn't really help me. I'll be grateful for answer. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madrid 7
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows to UNIX FTP Special characters!

I have a file that has the name in one of the lines as MARíA MENDOZA in Windows. When this gets FTPed over to UNIX it appears as MAR�A MENDOZA. Is there anyway to overcome this? Its causing a issue because the file is Postional and fields are getting pushed by 2 digits.. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Special Characters

Any time I do : ls *.txt > mytext.txt I get something like this in the output file: ^ Tue Jan 22 16:19:19 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux t1Fam_BrOv :~>alias | grep ls alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias lR='ls -R' alias la='ls -Al' alias lc='ls -ltcr' alias ldd='ls -ltr |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
5 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)