Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Replace C instructions for system calls Post 302944461 by Corona688 on Tuesday 19th of May 2015 11:31:43 AM
Old 05-19-2015
execl would probably be the system call you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace C instructions for system calls

Hi! At first I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this post is correct in this place. I have a problem trying to change 2 C instructions for system calls. The code that I have is that: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <errno.h> #include... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearn
4 Replies
varargs(3EXT)						    Extended Library Functions						     varargs(3EXT)

NAME
varargs - handle variable argument list SYNOPSIS
#include <varargs.h> va_alist va_dcl va_list pvar; void va_start(va_listpvar); type va_arg(va_list pvar, type); void va_end(va_list pvar); DESCRIPTION
This set of macros allows portable procedures that accept variable argument lists to be written. Routines that have variable argument lists (such as printf(3C)) but do not use varargs are inherently non-portable, as different machines use different argument-passing conventions. va_alist is used as the parameter list in a function header. va_dcl is a declaration for va_alist. No semicolon should follow va_dcl. va_list is a type defined for the variable used to traverse the list. va_start is called to initialize pvar to the beginning of the list. va_arg will return the next argument in the list pointed to by pvar. type is the type the argument is expected to be. Different types can be mixed, but it is up to the routine to know what type of argument is expected, as it cannot be determined at runtime. va_end is used to clean up. Multiple traversals, each bracketed by va_start and va_end, are possible. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample program. This example is a possible implementation of execl (see exec(2) ). #include <unistd.h> #include <varargs.h> #define MAXARGS 100 /* execl is called by execl(file, arg1, arg2, ..., (char *)0); */ execl(va_alist) va_dcl { va_list ap; char *file; char *args[MAXARGS]; /* assumed big enough*/ int argno = 0; va_start(ap); file = va_arg(ap, char *); while ((args[argno++] = va_arg(ap, char *)) != 0) ; va_end(ap); return execv(file, args); } SEE ALSO
exec(2), printf(3C), vprintf(3C), stdarg(3EXT) NOTES
It is up to the calling routine to specify in some manner how many arguments there are, since it is not always possible to determine the number of arguments from the stack frame. For example, execl is passed a zero pointer to signal the end of the list. printf can tell how many arguments are there by the format. It is non-portable to specify a second argument of char, short, or float to va_arg, since arguments seen by the called function are not char, short, or float. C converts char and short arguments to int and converts float arguments to double before passing them to a function. stdarg is the preferred interface. SunOS 5.10 10 May 2002 varargs(3EXT)