Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy text and create new file Post 302944291 by cmccabe on Monday 18th of May 2015 01:57:53 PM
Old 05-18-2015
I mis-spoke in my original post, there is no file.txt rather ~500 files all listed in a directory. So could the directory be used instead of file.txt

Code:
 awk -F'_' '{f = $1 FS $2 ".txt"}!x[f]++{print f}' 'N:\path' > output.txt

or

Code:
 sed 's/\(^[^_]*_[^_]*\)_.*/\1.txt/' 'N:\path' | uniq > output.txt

Thank you Smilie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a string to a text file

I am using the following command to email a tex file as an attachment- cat mailtext.txt | elm -s "Subject" emailAddr where content of mailtext.txt is - "Body of email" This will attach foo.txt with the email. My problem is that the file foo.txt is ceated dynamically everytime with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxlxboy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy text with ed to new file ?

Alright, so in ed i do a subsititution: ed file << 'HERE' s/.*h2.*>\(.*\)<.*/\1/p HERE This gives me my desired line: Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional! But how would i put this line in a temporary file ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy one file into another except some text

I have file input like- abc,"123",""123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123", abc,"123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123""123",abc etc Input file consists of 1000 records and i want to copy into final file except abc abc is at fixed position... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to create a text file whose content is the text of another files

Hello everyone, I work under Ubuntu 11.10 (c-shell) I need a script to create a new text file whose content is the text of another text files that are in the directory $DIRMAIL at this moment. I will show you an example: - On the one hand, there is a directory $DIRMAIL where there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenteyu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hoe to copy selected strings from file into another text file

Hi Experts, I just want to copy some selected strings from a a file into a new .txt file . I am using below command to find the data now want to copy the search results into another .txt file please help me . find /Path -exec grep -w "filename1|filename1|filename1|" '{}' \;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy data form File A and Create File B

File A I have list of : ABCND1 ABCND2 ABCnd3 ABCnd4 I want file B like below Start+ S Pate=ABCND1 AAlo1 S Pate=ABCND1 Q1234 S Pate=ABCND1,P12345 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to create folder, copy file, and send email on success

I am very new to UNIX as well as scripting so please be gentle, haha. I have a Linux client which has a mount point mapped to my /etc folder on a NetApp FAS system. I woudl like to be able to copy the hosts and rc files once a week from the FAS to a different location for backup. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: minnino
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy the content from txt file and create a html file

I have a txt file with a list of error messages in a xml tag format, and each error message is separated with a identifier(endresult).Need to split that and copy and create a new html file.Error message has some special character. how to escape the special character and insert my data into the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevAakash
7 Replies
uuto(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uuto(1)

NAME
uuto, uupick - public UNIX system to UNIX system file copy SYNOPSIS
[options] source-files destination system] DESCRIPTION
sends source-files to destination. uses the facility to send files (see uucp(1)), while allowing the local system to control the file access. A source-file name is a path name on your machine. Destination has the form: where system is taken from a list of system names that knows about (see in uucp(1) manual entry). user is the login name of someone on the specified system. recognizes the following options: Copy the source file into the spool directory immediately, and send the copy. Send mail to the requester when the copy is complete. The files (or sub-trees if directories are specified) are sent to PUBDIR on system, where PUBDIR is the UUCP public directory Specifically the files are sent to PUBDIR The recipient is notified by electronic mail when the files arrive. accepts or rejects the files transmitted to the recipient. Specifically, searches PUBDIR for files destined for the user. For each entry (file or directory) found, the following message is printed on the standard output: file-name] dirname] then reads a line from the standard input to determine the disposition of the file: <new-line> Go on to next entry. Delete the entry. Move the entry to named directory dir (current directory is default). Note that, if the current working directory is desired for dir, do specify any parameter with A construction such as is erroneous, and results in loss of data. Same as except move all the files sent from system. Print the contents of the file. Stop. EOT (control-D) Same as Escape to the shell to execute command. Print a command summary. invoked with the option searches only the PUBDIR for files sent from system. WARNINGS
To send files that begin with a dot (such as the filename must contain a corresponding dot. For example: and are correct, whereas and are incorrect. FILES
PUBDIR public directory SEE ALSO
mail(1), uuclean(1M), uucp(1), uustat(1), uux(1). Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. Grace Todino and Dale Dougherty, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
uuto(1)