Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Move File Containing More Than two "-" at 3rd Line To New Directory Post 302944018 by Nexeu on Friday 15th of May 2015 12:16:01 AM
Old 05-15-2015
@RudiC : You mean I should regroup them by moving into folders like aa, ab, ac and etc?

@Don Cragun : I have a word file named Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.txt which has 18 hyphens on third line Smilie
Code:
[noo-muh-noh-uhl-truh-mahy-kruh-skop-ik-sil-i-koh-vol-key-noh-koh-nee-oh-sis, nyoo-]  /ˈnu mə noʊˌʌl trəˌmaɪ krəˌskɒp ɪkˈsɪl ɪˌkoʊ vɒlˌkeɪ noʊˌkoʊ niˈoʊ sɪs, ˈnyu-/

I m not sure if other files also has more than 15. I can't seem to find a command that could search whether my files has more than 15 hyphens at 3rd line or not. Smilie

And the files have IPA alphabets and characters you'd mentioned like "$", <Double quotes>, "<", ">" and etc. Seems like it has almost all characters since its a dictionary folder Smilie

Fortunately, none of them are linked to one another. They are all individual txt files.

Targeted directories could be in same directories but there's no folders yet in that Folder. Probably have to mkdir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script works well but displays " line 6: =: No such file or directory"

strange :) can you tell why?:cool: #!/bin/bash echo " enter your age " read age if ; then echo " you do not have to pay tax " elif ]; then echo " you are eligible for income tax " else echo " you dont have to pay tax " fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line containg "char" above line containing "xchar"

Okay, so I have a rather large text file and will have to process many more and this will save me hours of work. I'm not very good at scripting, so bear with me please. Working on Linux RHEL I've been able to filter and edit and clean up using sed, but I have a problem with moving lines. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rex007can
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
folders(1)						      General Commands Manual							folders(1)

NAME
folders - list folders and contents (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
folders [+folder] [msg] [options] OPTIONS
Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information. This is faster because the folders need not be read. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Lists the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. Re-numbers mes- sages in the folders. Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps in the numbering are removed. The default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder. Discards the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. This corresponds to the popd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Pushes the current folder onto the folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the pushd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Lists folders recur- sively. Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any sub-folders which it contains. Displays only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory. This option does not print any information about individual folders. It can be sup- pressed using the -nototal option. The defaults for folders are: +folder defaults to all msg defaults to none -nofast -noheader -nototal -nopack -norecurse DESCRIPTION
The folders command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain. The folders command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory. The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line. This is illustrated in the following example: Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) V2.3 has 3 messages ( 1- 3). adrian has 20 messages ( 1- 20); cur= 2. brian has 16 messages ( 1- 16). chris has 12 messages ( 1- 12). copylog has 242 messages ( 1- 242); cur= 225. inbox+ has 73 messages ( 1- 127); cur= 127. int has 4 messages ( 1- 4); cur= 2 (others). jack has 17 messages ( 1- 17); cur= 17. TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders. The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The information about the int folder includes the term (others). This indicates that the folder int contains files which are not messages. These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under the MH file naming scheme. The folders command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the folder command. If you use folders with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder. as shown in the following exam- ple: % folders +test Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) test+ has 18 messages ( 1- 18); (others). test/testone has 1 message ( 1- 1). test/testtwo has no messages. TOTAL= 19 messages in 3 folders. See refile(1) for more details of sub-folders. RESTRICTIONS
MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack lsproc: Program to list the contents of a folder FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
csh(1), folder(1), refile(1), mhpath(1) folders(1)