Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding single value from one file into column of second file Post 302943882 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 13th of May 2015 03:29:22 PM
Old 05-13-2015
If you get an error message, prevent word splitting with quotes: ... A="$(<file1.txt)" ...
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE:Adding new column

Is it possible to add a new column in a file by matching a key element in second file ? File 1 2 a 3 b 4 d 5 g 6 j 7 m File 2 4 hjjjj 5 aaa 6 sasa 7 dsds 2 dsdf 3 fdsfg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk-adding a column to a file

Hello Friends, i used awk to sum up total size of files under a directory (with the help of examples, threads here). ls -l | awk '/^-/ {total += $5} END {printf "%15.0f\n",total}' >> total.txt After each execution of the script total result is appended into a text file: 7010 7794 8890 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
7 Replies

3. AIX

Adding column in a .txt file

Helle, I want to create a .ksh script in order to realize the following : I have a .txt file organized in a bloc of information, each bloc start with 000 as following: 000... 001... 003... 004... 000... 001... 003... 004... . . My aim is to add a new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainab2006
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding quotes around each column in a csv file

I saved the csv file in a comma delimited format. Sample input input.csv 1 abc 2 2 def 4 3 ghi 6 4 jkl 8 5 mno 10 output.csv should look like this with single quotes around each field '1' 'abc' '2' '2' 'def' '4' '3' 'ghi' '6' '4' 'jkl' '8' '5' 'mno' '10' Please help me :confused:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melannie
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a column to a file

Hello all, I need to add a coloumn at the 5th Position of a file, Can this be done using awk or sed. Sample Input 1008,300186,R,2009,0,2,2,3,2,0,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,0,2,1,1,0,2,2,2,2,0,0,0,0,1,0,2,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,3,2,3,1,1,1, Ouput: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding column in file

File contains 2 fields with tab delimeter. i want added the one column first of the file and incrementing as like sequence Sample file: Fname lanme raj rajkumar rani ranikumar output file should be. name Fname lanme 1 raj rajkumar 2 rani ranikumar Please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding content of two file in a single file column wise

Hi, I am trying to get the file in particular pattern using shell script. I have to add one column to some other file. For example consider two file as below. File1: name1 name2 name3 File2: Add1 age1 Add2 age2 Add3 age3 I want this two file in a single file format something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding column values in a file

Hi, I am having a file in the following format. for aaaa 1111 1234 2222 3434 for bbbb 1111 3434.343 2222 2343 for cccc 3333 2343.343 4444 89000 for dddd 1111 5678.343 2222 890.3 aaaa 2343.343 bbbb 34343.343 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column to a csv file

Hi, Can anyone please explain me how can I add a new column to a Csv file ? Actaully I am setting one set of commands and creating a CSV file with 4 columns. I am executing another command and it's output should be added as column 5 with a column heading ? Can anyone explain how can... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
26 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. SEE ALSO
Text::CSV - for parsing CSV files AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 250: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 254: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 258: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 262: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 266: Expected text after =item, not a number perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Text::ParseWords(3pm)