Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX mail command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX mail command Post 302943697 by RudiC on Tuesday 12th of May 2015 04:29:11 AM
Old 05-12-2015
Did you consider reading the man page (esp.: -a file Attach the given file to the message.) or looking into the proposals at the bottom of this page?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

E-Mail from command line for UNIX and Perl??

Hi Is there any way to use UNIX and Perl to automate sending e-mail. I got a dynamic changing file that send out to people in my mailing list and want to experinment to see if Perl and UNIX can send it out for me when the content is change. I found a Perl source code but dont really know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jy2728
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mail command

hi, Im trying to send a e-mail to two people e.g X & Y . I run a shell script that uses the mail command to send an email to both these people . The email that i am sending contains two attatchments that i 'add' to a .mail file. mail <recipients> < filename.mail The problem that im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail command in UNIX

1)My main script Calls a function IsDomain to check whether the domain is valid or not PROD>/appl/retek/mpscripts/cat mg3TRn01 #!/bin/ksh # # Standard Header Files # # . ${0%${0##*/}}UKMPFunctionLibrary.test # # START # ScriptStart # # Check that domain exists.Print &... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using unix mail command

Hello, When i am using mail command like this: mail -r prashant.aggarwal@xx.com -s "hiiii" prashant.aggarwal@xx.com < Content.txt i am abl eto dend a mail. Content.txt is a file from which contents are being reda But when i am trying to execute it thru a shell scipt like this it's giving ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprash.aggarwal
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep mail command active inside a script on unix

well, I have a script with this code inside: nohup /usr/sbin/auditstream | /usr/sbin/auditselect -m -e "event== USER_Create || event== USER_Remove || event== USER_Change || event== GROUP_Create || event== GROUP_Remove || event== GROUP_Change || event== PASSWORD_Change " | /usr/sbin/auditpr -h... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail command internals

Hi all , I wanted to know how does a 'mail' command works in unix. Does it use an smtp server internally ? How and where it is configured then ? I am trying to google out the same , but not getting much help. Any suggestions with be of great help. - Andy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anindyabecs
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using Unix mail command (2)

I recently generated myself the following error when attempting to use the Unix mail command: The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending mail. There is a recent thread about this issue here in unix.com (with a title very much like this thread's title), but it was closed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command in Unix

Hi All, Is it possible to email a file from another directory in Unix shell prompt? In other words, do we have to be in the directory where the file is located to mail the file? I was in the Mail directory and my file (filename) is in the Practice directory. I tried this and it didn't work:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in UNIX with body and attachment(.txt) using sendmail command

Hi All, In my .ksh script, I am sending an email with body and attachment (.txt) using sendmail command. I am able to receive the attachement along with the body of the mail. But I am getting special characters along with the content in the .txt. Also the alignment is incorrect. Can you please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRR
7 Replies
chgrp(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chgrp(1)

NAME
chgrp - Changes the group ownership of a file or directory SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhR] group file The chgrp command changes the group associated with the specified file or directory to group. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: chgrp: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Suppresses all error reporting. [Tru64 UNIX] If file is a symbolic link, the command chgrp -h file changes the group of the symbolic link. The command chgrp file changes the group of the file referenced by the symbolic link. Causes chgrp to descend recursively through its directory arguments, setting the specified group ID. OPERANDS
A group name from the group database or a numeric group ID. Either specifies a group ID to be given to each file named by one of the file operands. If a numeric group operand exists in the group database as a group name, the group ID number associated with that group name is used as the group ID. A pathname of a file whose group ID is to be modified. DESCRIPTION
To change the group ID of a file, you must have superuser privilege or your effective user ID must match the owner ID of the file. If you do not have superuser privilege you can change the group ID of a file only to your effective group ID or to the value of a group of which you are a member. The group argument must be either a valid group name that already exists in the group database or a valid group ID. For each file operand, the chgrp command performs actions equivalent to the chown() function called with the following arguments: The file operand is used as the path argument. The user ID of the file is used as the owner argument. The specified group ID is used as the group argument. Unless the chgrp command is invoked by a process with appropriate privileges, the set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of a file are cleared upon successful completion. NOTES
If the chgrp command is invoked with the -R option and attempts but fails to change the group ID of a particular file in a specified file hierarchy, it continues to process the remaining files in the hierarchy. If the chgrp command cannot read or search a directory within a hierarchy, it continues to process the other parts of the hierarchy that are accessible. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion, all requested changes were made. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To change the group ownership of the file or directory named proposals to staff, enter: chgrp staff proposals The group access permissions for proposals now apply to staff. See chmod for details. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of chgrp: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Contains group information. SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1), chown(1), groups(1) Functions: chmod(2), chown(2) Files: group(4) Standards: standards(5) chgrp(1)