Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read character and use as separator Post 302943223 by Subbeh on Wednesday 6th of May 2015 11:15:14 AM
Old 05-06-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Try IFS="" read -r separator
Thanks! Works great
This User Gave Thanks to Subbeh For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i read a file character by character

How to read character by character using awk (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I read a file character by character?

Hello all respected people, Can i read a file character by character without using sed,awk and perl commands. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read character by character in a file

Hi, How read character by character from a file . and i need replace '.' with null if it comes as a 5 character i am beginner ...please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheek
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from character 23 through character 32

I need a one-liner that will output characters 23 through 32 from a user defined record. Thanks, Kenny. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character

Guys, Here is the input text file <7001> 34 789 701 2 <HJS1> 2 <HJS2> 2 <HJS3> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read into a range of character

i have this problem: i must hide a string with a character such as _ by command WORD=string; XXX=`echo $WORD | sed 's//_/g' but after, users must send in input a character and i must to replace the _ with the input character or better i can do this -$CHARS_INPUT i have think to use command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [-Rnprsu [n]] [arg]... ksh93 print [-Renprs] [-f format] [-u fd] [string...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. When no options are specified, or when an option followed by ' a - is specified, or when just - is specified, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). ksh93 By default, print writes each string operand to standard output and appends a NEWLINE character. Unless, the -r, -R, or -f option is speciifed, each character in each string operand is processed specially as follows: a Alert character.  Backspace character. c Terminate output without appending NEWLINE. The remaining string operands are ignored. E Escape character (ASCII octal 033). f FORM FEED character. NEWLINE character. Tab character. v Vertical tab character. \ Backslash character. x The 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, or 3-digit octal number x. OPTIONS
ksh The following options are supported by ksh: -n Suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -r-R Raw mode. Ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option prints all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p Cause the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s Cause the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] Specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output is placed. The default is 1. ksh93 The following options are supported by ksh93: -e Unless -f is specified, process sequences in each string operand as described above. This is the default behavior. If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -f format Write the string arguments using the format string format and do not append a NEWLINE. See printf(1) for details on how to specify format. When the -f option is specified and there are more string operands than format specifiers, the format string is reprocessed from the beginning. If there are fewer string operands than format specifiers, then outputting ends at the first unneeded for- mat specifier. -n Do not append a NEWLINE character to the output. -p Write to the current co-process instead of standard output. -r Do not process sequences in each string operand as described above. -R If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -s Write the output as an entry in the shell history file instead of standard output. -u fd Write to file descriptor number fd instead of standard output. The default value is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), printf(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 2008 print(1)