Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX PowerVM/lpar creation problems Post 302942608 by computron on Thursday 30th of April 2015 10:38:58 AM
Old 04-30-2015
thanks..I've read the documentation , not all 792 pages of it, but, if I can't get past 'insert disk 2 of VIOS Server' what good does reading ALL of the documentation do?
VmWare esxi and Oracle Vm server for Sparc do not require anything like a Virtual I/O server to provide virtual SCSI,Disk,network,etc, to an virtual machine. IBM ,to me,is completely backwards. why didn't they just make drivers that work out of the box without having to first install a virtual server to provide these virtual devices to LPARs?
I understand that one VM using a dvdrom , 'locks' it so that other VMs cant use it..and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it shouldnt be as complicated as this when setting up multiple VMs.
and that's the reason I've posted a question here, in the hopes that someone could provide an idea of what I can do to get past this, to shed some light on it.
but replying 'read the documentation' isn't helpful. but thanks anyways.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

LPAR creation

can i get a step b syep explanation in creating LPAR... i have searched for tutorials i couldn't find the right one.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
2 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

3. AIX

PowerVM HA questions

hi guys, i need to develop following setup for a customer: high availability oracle database on aix7 and linux in 2 different LPAR using dual ps700 blande a ds3400 and HMC. the question is, it is possible to have automatic vioc failover(aix,linux) when for example 1 vios goes down? in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gullio23
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Package creation problems with Source files

Hi, I am creating "LSOF" solaris package from solaris "source" files. I have compiled the source file and with that i created prototype file also. Then using pkgmk command i can make the package . In the package i am having (pkginfo pkgmap reloc) two file and one directory respectively But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kathirvel G
3 Replies

5. AIX

Need IBM PowerVM

Hi all please give me a link for IBM PowerVM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Problems With User Creation Script

Hello everyone, I've been attempting to make a program which creates user accounts from a file which contains the usernames required. It also checks if the directory of the username exists in the C:\Users directory and then is going to give the option to delete the directory, or rename it, this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charlieabee
1 Replies

7. AIX

Some questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm

Some simple questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm. I want to learn AIX,so i will buy an used I285 from ebay. 1)Will support aix 7.1? 2)Is powervm avaliable?Where to download or buy it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies

9. AIX

PowerVM SEA etherchannel performance ?

Hello, POWER7 machine. 4 x 1Gbit port ethernet adapter is dedicated to vios. 8023ad etherchannel is created using those 4 ports. Etherchannel adapter is shared to lpars using SEA. If I test network performance directly from vios partition (using iperf) I'm geting nice 4Gbit throughput. But if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies
IOSTAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 IOSTAT(1)

NAME
iostat - report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [ drives ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
Iostat iteratively reports the number of characters read and written to terminals per second, and, for each disk, the number of transfers per second, kilobytes transferred per second, and the milliseconds per average seek. It also gives the percentage of time the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (niced) processes, in system mode, and idling. To compute this information, for each disk, seeks and data transfer completions and number of words transferred are counted; for terminals collectively, the number of input and output characters are counted. Also, each sixtieth of a second, the state of each disk is examined and a tally is made if the disk is active. From these numbers and given the transfer rates of the devices it is possible to determine average seek times for each device. The optional interval argument causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since a reboot and each subsequent report is for the last interval only. The optional count argument restricts the number of reports. If more than 4 disk drives are configured in the system, iostat displays only the first 4 drives, with priority given to Massbus disk drives (i.e. if both Unibus and Massbus drives are present and the total number of drives exceeds 4, then some number of Unibus drives will not be displayed in favor of the Massbus drives). To force iostat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. FILES
/dev/kmem /vmunix SEE ALSO
vmstat(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 IOSTAT(1)