Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replicating certain lines in a textfile Post 302942564 by sandy90 on Wednesday 29th of April 2015 04:19:29 PM
Old 04-29-2015
Thank you! I wanted to keep it simple an face the problem step by step, but that might be confusing, too. So here is the whole problem:
file1.txt is a template that looks like this:
Code:
textline1
textline2
startCopy
copyThisMMDD
endCopy
textline3
textline4

where MM stands for month (0..12) and DD for day (I managed to check with if-constructions how many days one month has. I want to copy and paste the three lines for every month and day, so that I get:
Code:
textline1
textline2
startCopy
copyThis0101
endCopy
startCopy
copyThis0102
endCopy
startCopy
copyThis1230
endCopy
startCopy
copyThis1231
endCopy
textline3
textline4

I would do that with two for loops, maybe I will need more in the future for years.
So my initial problem is to copy and paste the three lines. I think I be able to substitute the template MMDD with sed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replicating restricted sam users

I'm in the process of setting up two new HP-UX 11.23 i64 servers. On my existing server (HP-UX B.11.0) we have several users defined to have restricted sam access. I'm having trouble finding those definitions and copying them over to the new servers. Is this possible - to just copy over the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LisaS
1 Replies

2. AIX

Command for replicating a directory

Morning all, Is there a command on AIX that can replicate/synchronise two directories? I'm after functionality similar to robocopy on Windows. Scenario: I have a directory of Oracle forms for my production system and one for my dev system, these directories start off identical. The forms... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huggie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all lines with less then 32 characters from a textfile?

I need to delete all lines with less then 32 characters from a textfile. :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: anna428
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in textfile, erase $num lines after that string

I have a textfile containing text similar to the following pattern: STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING1 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING2 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING3 STRING2 STRING3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilcsfe
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replicating many rows in unix

Hi If my input is abcdefgh ijklmnop then the output should be: abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh ijklmnop (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replicating content using sed

if we want to replicate the content of the file twice, then we can use sed 'p' filename In the same way, if i want to replicate the content thrice or 4 times, how we can achieve in SED? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicating jobs, renaming outout

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to write a script that will repeat the same job several times but give the output a slightly different name each time (i.e. change or add a number at the end of the output file)? Here is the script I use to run a single job: #!/bin/bash #PBS -N job0 #PBS -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peterjb100
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut lines from and to in a textfile

i am having a text file like below rama surya pandu latha singh raja i want to get the new file from 3 to 5 i.e pandu latha singh please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Glusterfs not replicating

0 down vote favorite I have replicated glusterfs on two servers, if i create file on one server it doesnt reflect on other, if i try to heal the volume on node2 i get this error Commit failed on node2. Please check log file for details. glustershd.log E 0-test-client-3: connection to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidbob
0 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)