Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing variables to mkuser
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing variables to mkuser Post 302942502 by bubbawuzhere on Wednesday 29th of April 2015 10:11:59 AM
Old 04-29-2015
I finally stumbled onto the answer, if not the reason... Seems when passing a single quote delimited value to mkuser (or chuser) via a variable, the entire attribute must be surrounded by double quotes... and it doesn't like it with multiple attributes....

These do not work...
Code:
$cmd="pgrp=AGROUP groups=AGROUP gecos='John Doe'"
mkuser $cmd $USERID

Code:
$cmd='pgrp=AGROUP groups=AGROUP "gecos=''John Doe''" '
mkuser $cmd $USERID

But this DOES work...
Code:
$cmd="pgrp=AGROUP groups=AGROUP"
mkuser $cmd $USERID
$cmd="gecos='John Doe'"
chuser "$cmd" $USERID

Thanks all for the replies!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to AWK

Does anybody have an explanation for the following: The following scripts runs fine on IRIX64 6.5 but has bugs on Solaris 8. #! /bin/sh echo run only on an SGI machine echo type in linenumber read j echo value read value awk -f rmspass2 level=$value $j'step1.mlf' When the script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables

Hi, Is there any way to pass variable to a sed script.For awk we have -v option.like that do we have any way to pass variable to a sed script from a awk script or from normal script? Thanx, sounder (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk - Passing variables

Hi, I am passing the varibale using nawk -v to search the pattern from the file. But this variable is not accepting. I couldn't get the crrect output. Help me regarding..... nawk -v PGMNAME="$prog" ' { $0 ~ /PGMNAME/ { .................. ................. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing 2 variables

Hi All, I need to pass 2 variables name 'vamskt' and 'vamsi'. Here is my question: delete from gpi.usergroup where usg_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.userroles where uro_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.user where usr_id in ('vamskt'); insert into gpi.user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvamsikiran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing two variables to function

HI ,I am a new in Bash and ,I dont know how to pass a second parameter to this fuction,if the name of the passed argument is num works fine,but if I try to pass secondNum,dont recognized it thanks function check() { if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 )) then echo No arguments passed.Try... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables between sub-scripts

I have written a program for some data analysis. It is gettin long. I would like to restructure it so that i can have a master file which controls multiple subscripts in order to make it easier to understand. I need to be able to define variables in the master script which are used by all three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables and setting them

So I'm writing a script to generate pairwise scores for how similar two strings are, and while I've been able to get it to work on a single script, I've been unable to iterate it. So suppose I have a file thus 1234567890 1234567890 1234567899 first I need to assign two lines, by their... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables

I have below data: DAY1=10202013 I am trying below but not getting the desired output: COUNT=1 DATE=DAY$COUNT echo "Date is $DATE" However output I am getting is: Date is DAY1 I wanted the output as: Date is 10202013 I tried following as well: DAY1=10202013 COUNT=1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyr1985
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)