Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Xargs -0 not working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Xargs -0 not working Post 302942451 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 28th of April 2015 11:43:29 PM
Old 04-29-2015
What is the full command-line you are trying to run? Many people think they need something like:
Code:
find path... primary... -print0 | xargs -0 command

when:
Code:
find path... primary... -exec command {} +

is faster and simpler. The xargs utility certainly has options that can't be duplicated by the find -exec primary, but if find -exec is sufficient for what you're doing, avoid the pipeline.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with xargs

Hi there, I am trying to move around 3000 files from one directory to another. The mv command is complaining from too many arguments. I tried to use the xargs command but with no luck. Could some body provide help? Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why we use xargs..

hi , can anyone help me by saying why we use xargs.. is it acing like a place holder..? thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs

hi i just want to know that how do we use xargs command to find files which are greater than specified memory in a given directory (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in using xargs

Hi, I have a requirement to RCP the files from remote server to local server. Also the RCP has to run in parallel. However using 'xargs' retrives 2 file names during each loop. How do we restrict to only one file name using xargs and loop till remaining files. I use the below code for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs and

Hello there, Let me show you a simple example of what I am trying to achieve: 1) I have an input text file with some lines: 1 a 2 b 3 c 2) And I want to run a command with these lines as arguments (+ arbitrary extra arguments). For example: $ command "1 a" "2 b" "3 c" "bye" I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokland
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

I have dir with many files ( close to 4M ) . $ ls -la total 76392 drwxr-xr-x 10 oracle dba 512 Jun 06 14:39 . drwxr-xr-x 11 oracle dba 512 Dec 20 13:21 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 39074816 Jun 15 14:07 ad I am trying to delete them using... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs

Hello, I need some help with xargs $ ls aaa bbb ccc ddd$ ls | xargs -I{} ls -la {} -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 aaa -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 bbb -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 ccc -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 dddit's possible to have output like this with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xargs

Hi, can anyone tell me in detail ? what the following do in detail ? I am trying to get a largest number in a list Thanks Tao LARGEST=$(echo $* | xargs -n1 | sort -nr | tail -1) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		    Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath - A Visitor for finding an element in a Tree::Simple hierarchy with a path SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath; # create a visitor object my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath->new(); # set the search path for our tree $visitor->setSearchPath(qw(1 1.2 1.2.2)); # pass the visitor to a tree $tree->accept($visitor); # fetch the result, which will # be the Tree::Simple object that # we have found, or undefined my $result = $visitor->getResult() || die "No Tree found"; # our result's node value should match # the last element in our path print $result->getNodeValue(); # this should print 1.2.2 DESCRIPTION
Given a path and Tree::Simple hierarchy, this Visitor will attempt to find the node specified by the path. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setSearchPath" and "setNodeFilter" methods to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the search as well. setSearchPath (@path) This is the path we will attempt to follow down the tree. We will do a stringified comparison of each element of the path and the current tree's node (or the value returned by the node filter if it is set). setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are collected. This can be used to customize output, or to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. getResult This method will return the tree found at the specified path (set by the "setSearchPath" method) or "undef" if no tree is found. getResults This method will return the tree's that make up the path specified in "setSearchPath". In the case of a failed search, this can be used to find the elements which did successfully match along the way. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-10-24 Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)