Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rename files based on a list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename files based on a list Post 302942436 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 28th of April 2015 04:31:34 PM
Old 04-28-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Try:
Code:
while IFS='	' read from to
do
  [ -f "$from.bam" ] && mv -- "$from.bam" "$to.bam"
done < list

where the TAB Character can entered as CTRL-V TAB in vi..

Or
Code:
tab=$(printf "\t")
while IFS=$tab read from to
do
  [ -f "$from.bam" ] && mv -- "$from.bam" "$to.bam"
done < list

In bash of ksh you can use $'\t'
Shouldn't the line marked in red above be:
Code:
while IFS="$tab" read from to

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files/directories based on their name

i have hundreds of directories that have to be renamed. the directory structure is fairly uniform which makes the scripting a little simpler. suppose i have many directories like this */*/*/*abc* (in other words i have similar directory names 3 dirs deep that all contain the pattern abc in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumechanix
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and rename list of files

Hi all, I am a newbie in writng unix..I am using ksh shell..Does anyone know how to copy a list o files from directory A to directory B with differnt names? i.e in Dir A, I have RPT101.555.TXT RPT102.666.TXT and I want to copy those files to dir B with new naming convention.. in Dir B,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to move and rename a list of files

Hi, I need to do something easy but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Let's say I have 6 files in the directory below: /ebsbeta_f/flash/EBSUATQB/onlinelog o1_mf_6_55klt7nr_.log o1_mf_3_55klskj4_.log o1_mf_4_55klsrl1_.log o1_mf_5_55klt09p_.log o1_mf_2_55klv1ts_.log... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files Ax based on strings found in files Bx

Hi, I'm not very experienced in shell scripting and that's probably why I came across the following problem: I do have several hundred pairs of text files (PF00x.spl and PF00x.shd) where the first file (PF00x.spl) needs to be renamed according a string that is included in the second file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inCH
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files based on their respective directory name

I have a number of files in directories labeled like this: /Data/tr_gray/tr_DTI/dti_FA.nii.gz (the brackets here represent a range of number that the files are labeled with) I need to rename each dti_FA.nii.gz file according to the name of the folder it resides in. For example, the file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tk0034
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Rename List of files in a directory

How can i rename list of files in a directory? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knip
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I rename list of files with dateformat

Hello, I have a list of files like -rw-rw-r-- 1 rails rails 8463005 Jul 27 04:02 find_or.log.3.gz -rw-rw-r-- 1 rails rails 33786339 Jul 27 04:02 pro.log.10.gz -rw-rw-r-- 1 rails rails 44815467 Aug 3 04:02 pro.log.9.gz -rw-rw-r-- 1 rails rails 81562896 Aug 4 04:02 pro.log.8.gz... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is better way copy list of multiple files, rename and gzip

Is better way to write the script loop through one by one "Old_File_1: & New_File_1:" to copy 100 files to /staging/test folder then re-name & gzip all those files? I wrote this code below and don't like that much. Thanks I have a control_file under /tmp/test folder like below 100 files and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies
DOM(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  DOM(3pm)

NAME
XML::Generator::DOM - XML::Generator subclass for producing DOM trees instead of strings. SYNOPSIS
use XML::Generator::DOM; my $dg = XML::Generator::DOM->new(); my $doc = $dg->xml($dg->xmlcmnt("Test document."), $dg->foo({'baz' => 'bam'}, 42)); print $doc->toString; yields: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <!--Test document--> <foo baz="bam">42</foo> DESCRIPTION
XML::Generator::DOM subclasses XML::Generator in order to produce DOM trees instead of strings (see XML::Generator and XML::DOM). This module is still experimental and its semantics might change. Essentially, tag methods return XML::DOM::DocumentFragment objects, constructed either from a DOM document passed into the constructor or a default document that XML::Generator::DOM will automatically construct. Calling the xml() method will return this automatically constructed document and cause a fresh one to be constructed for future tag method calls. If you passed in your own document, you may not call the xml() method. Below, we just note the remaining differences in semantics between XML::Generator methods and XML::Generator::DOM methods. CONSTRUCTOR
These configuration options are accepted but have no effect on the semantics of the returned object: escape, pretty, conformance and empty. TAG METHODS
Subsequently, tag method semantics are somewhat different for this module compared to XML::Generator. The primary difference is that tag method return XML::DOM::DocumentFragment objects. Namespace and attribute processing remains the same, but remaining arguments to tag methods must either be text or other XML::DOM::DocumentFragment objects. No escape processing, syntax checking, or output control is done; this is all left up to XML::DOM. SPECIAL TAGS
All special tags are available by default with XML::Generator::DOM; you don't need to use 'conformance' => 'strict'. xmlpi(@args) Arguments will simply be concatenated and passed as the data to the XML::DOM::ProcessingInstruction object that is returned. xmlcmnt Escaping of '--' is done by XML::DOM::Comment, which replaces both hyphens with '&#45;'. An XML::DOM::Comment object is returned. xmldecl Returns an XML::DOM::XMLDecl object. Respects 'version', 'encoding' and 'dtd' settings in the object. xmldecl Returns an XML::DOM::DocumentType object. xmlcdata Returns an XML::DOM::CDATASection object. xml As described above, xml() can only be used when dom_document was not set in the object. The automatically created document will have its XML Declaration set and the arguments to xml() will be appended to it. Then a new DOM document is automatically generated and the old one is returned. This is the only way to get a DOM document from this module. perl v5.12.4 2004-03-23 DOM(3pm)