Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting syntax error with awk ternary operator Post 302942146 by disedorgue on Friday 24th of April 2015 05:20:56 PM
Old 04-24-2015
Hi,
ternary operator is:
Code:
Condition ? one and only one true expr : one and only one false expr

you must have false expr also:
Code:
hour >= 12? amPm=" PM" : amPm=" AM"
hour >= 12? hour = hour - 12 : 0
hour == 0? hour = 12 : 0

Regards.
This User Gave Thanks to disedorgue For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ternary operator

How do I interpret the following ternary operation? fn_max(var_type a,var_type b,var_type c) { var_type t; return(t=((t>a?:t;a)>b)?:t;b)>c?:t;c) } Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'awk' syntax error

Due to some syntax error, my below code is not working. #!/usr/bin/ksh nawk ' BEGIN { cur_val=0; cur_zero=0; cur_nine=0; sum_zero=0; sum_nine=0; } /^/ { cur_val=substr($0,5,2); if("cur_val" == "0") { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokiman
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `-a' unexpected operator/operand in IF

When i tyr this, it gives me a syntax error...i tried removing quotes,removing spaces,replacing -eq with '='.. Can somebody suggest that is the problem? if ]; then (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell test: unknown operator

Hi All, can some one figure out the syntax issue here. How to overcome this? #!/bin/sh $ HFR_MAIL=NO $ PRP_MAIL=NO $ MC_MAIL=NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO " > else > echo "YES" > fi test: unknown operator NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO" > else > echo "YES" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

zsh ternary operator syntax help

Hi, Can someone give me an example of how to use zsh's ternary operator? I tried: # a=1 # c=( a ? "true" : "false" ) and got: zsh: no matches found: ? I'm running zsh 4.2 on RHEL AS 4. Thanks! Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paul99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

OR operator syntax question in AWK script

Hi guys, I confused about syntax used in OR script as follow: I have this sample file separated by "|" containing: January|Month No. 1 February|Month No. 2 March|Month No. 3 April|Month No. 4 May|Month No. 5 June|Month No. 6 July|Month No. 7 August|Month No. 8 September|Month No. 9... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error using Awk

more report2.txt how to modify the AWK to print above out put for given n no of inputs using report2.txt file? out put should be (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator

hi, i have a bash script that i want to receive a a string from another bash file. But because the string has a dot in the middle it gives me an error. The error is in this line: let valor=$1 and the value passed is rules.txt the error is: let: valor=rules.txt: syntax error: invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if else syntax error

Could somebody gently point out the error of my ways in the below (the flu I'm fighting might be contributing to my current haplessness) awk -F="\t" \ '{ for (i = 1; i <= NR; i++); FNR == i; { if (length($3) < 56 && length($1) > 56) $1=($1" "$2); $2=$3; $3=$4; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrew767
1 Replies
HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5)						File Formats Manual					       HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5)

NAME
etc/shutdown - server shutdown control file DESCRIPTION
If the file etc/shutdown is present it describes when a HylaFAX server is to be shutdown and may contain a descriptive message to return to clients explaining the reason for the shutdown. This file is used by the hfaxd(8) program. The file has the following format: <year> <month> <day> <hour> <minute> <deny> <disconnect> <shutdown message text> The first line defines the date and time the server should be shutdown and the time preceding at which unprivileged clients should be denied service or disconnected; these fields are described in more detail below. Any lines that follow the first are taken as the text of a message to return to clients when notifying them of a scheduled shutdown or when denying them service. <year> The decimal year; e.g. 1996. <month> The decimal month; e.g. 10 for October. <day> The decimal day of the month in the range [1..31]. <hour> The decimal hour since midnight; in the range [0..23]. <minute> The decimal minute after the hour; in the range [0..59]. <deny> The time prior to the shutdown time at which to deny service to unprivileged clients. This value is specified as decimal number in the form HHMM; e.g. 130 for 1 hour and 30 minutes. <disconnect> Time time prior to the shutdown time at which to disconnect unprivileged clients that are logged in to the server. This value is specified as a decimal number in the form HHMM. NOTES
This file is typically created using the ``SHUT'' command supported by hfaxd(8). SEE ALSO
hfaxd(8), hylafax-server(5) January 18, 1996 HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5)