Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Noexec on /home
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Noexec on /home Post 302940940 by hergp on Friday 10th of April 2015 05:53:12 AM
Old 04-10-2015
The only situation I can think of where this might be useful is a shared webhosting environment with ssh access. In this case the admins might want you not to execute any stuff not provided by the hoster.

But to make this work, there must not be one single place on any not noexec'd filesystem where the user has write access, or he can run his programs from there.

Also, as Peasant pointed out, for shell scripts there is a trivial workaround.
This User Gave Thanks to hergp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

$HOME is not getting it's value.

#!/bin/ksh while read line < elig_jobs.txt do #Gets the field from the elig_jobs.txt file that has the input location path. INPUTD=`echo "$line" | cut -c240-289` (ex: $HOME/2005) echo inputdirectory: $INPUTD (this prints $HOME/2005) I want it to print /data/user/2005... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/home cleanup

Hi All, I have this script for linux on cleaning up orphaned folder. But I need to use this on solaris 8/9/10 for user in $(ls | grep -v lost+found) ; do id $user >/dev/null 2>&1 if ] then ls -ld $user grep $user /etc/passwd fi done Can someone please convert this script? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

home directory

hello i want shell script. as root , i want to untar specific.tar.gz to all home user directory and after untar , there is 1.txt 2.txt ~~ 26.txt in/public_html/test1/ i want randomly selected 6 text files in 1.txt 2.txt ~26.txt to be renamed newword1.word , newword2.word , ~~... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
8 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

CRAY comes home for you.....

Isn't it annoying to leave work hanging to the next day because the regular home pc will never have the grunt of your HPC system at work. CRAY have answered someone's prayers ..... Cray Inc., The Supercomputer Company - CX1 Deskside Personal Supercomputer Cheers, Cam :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

5. Programming

Getting Home Directory

Hi I need to get the home directory of current user who is running the program, also i need to store the value in a particular variable and pass to the function. thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutechaps
4 Replies

6. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help

:( ---------- Post updated at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:50 AM ---------- Not working ---------- Post updated at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ---------- cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.`date` i am using this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

“noexec” and “nosuid”

I would like mimic "noexec” and “nosuid” on /tmp security when its a seperate file system BUT I would like to hang /tmp directly off of / "root". Any suggestions would be helpful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trscam
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging a script with noexec

Newbie question. I cannot get "set -n" or "set -noexec on" to work on Linux or AIX! According to the man page and what I read online, it should inform me of syntax errors without executing commands in your script. So, can someone PLEASE explain why this does not work? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgoyti
2 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)