Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File name manipulation when extracting from gzip Post 302940732 by Corona688 on Wednesday 8th of April 2015 03:18:53 PM
Old 04-08-2015
So there is never more than one MGAC, or more than one MGCC, etc?

Code:
while read FILENAME
do
        for FILE in $FILENAME
        do
                NEWFILE="${FILE%.*}"
                echo gzip -c "${FILE} ">" "${NEWFILE//\[0-9]/1}"
        done
done < filenames.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies

2. Solaris

script for Gzip thousands of file

Hi experts, I have thousands of file (data file and Gziped file) in same directory like below-- bash-2.05$ pwd /home/mmc bash-2.05$ file PP023149200709270546 TT023149200709270546: gzip compressed data - deflate method bash-2.05$ file PP027443200711242320 TT027443200711242320: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
10 Replies

3. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a GZIP File

Guys, I just want to know the difference in following (core difference) zcat a.gz b.gz c.gz |gzip >d.gz And zcat a.gz >>d.gz zcat b.gz >>d.gz zcat c.gz >>d.gz do we have 3 gzip header in 1st and only one in second case. please let me know this in detail Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip of a file in the same folder

I want gzip of a file in the same folder where it is kept now $filename = '/var/dev/test.txt' /opt/home/>> gzip -c $filename > test.txt.gz however command creates it in the folder in /opt/home/ How to gzip a file in the same directory where it is now , no matter from where we execute and also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file is locked otherwise gzip it

Dear community, I've a continuos tcpdump on redhat that close the dumped file every 100000 captured packets. To avoid disk full I would like to gzip the closed *.cap file. But how can I check if the file is currently opened by tcpdump and skip it from gzip? Thanks! EDIT: Just to post an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not able to zip the file using gzip

Hi all, I am calling Temp.sh and it is has simple line $gpath=`which gzip` $gpath $FilePath/My_temp.log if I run this script, logging to server then its works fine. But when I send this script over the SSH it does not work at it. gzip is command is not execute. I am using gzip 1.6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting logs using gunzip awk and gzip

Hi All I am trying to use a hard coded script into shell scripting but I am unable to . Kindly find the Script below along with the command Please help gunzip -c FilePath/FileName_*.gz | awk '$0 > "" && $0 < ""'|\ gzip >> FilePath/Outputfile.log.gz I Am trying to use this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkitbahl
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

MIME type for sending gzip file as attachment in email

Hello, I am trying to send a gzip file on email using below command but the zipped file received on email is corrupt. mailsend -smtp $smtpip -content-type 'application/x-gzip' -mime-type "application/x-gzip" -t $receiver -f $sender -sub "$subject" -M "$MSG" -attach $file file name is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar.modgil
1 Replies
URLCODING(3)						 libbash urlcoding Library Manual					      URLCODING(3)

NAME
urlcoding -- a Libbash library for encoding and decoding URL's. SYNOPSIS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> urlEncodeStream [-l] urlDecodeString <STRING> urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> urlDecodeStream DESCRIPTION
urlcoding is a collection of functions that convert ASCII-text to standard URL's and vice-versa. The AWK code used is based on code by Heiner Steven <heiner.steven@odn.de> The function list: urlEncodeString Creates a URL from an ASCII string urlEncodeFile Converts a file into URL-valid text urlEncodeStream Converts standard input into URL-valid text urlDecodeString Converts a URL-encoded text back to a plain-text form urlDecodeFile Coverts URL-encoded text in a file back to plain text urlDecodeStream Converts URL-encoded standard input to text Detailed interface description follows. The [-l] option for the encoding functions should be used when line-feed characters (' ') are to be encoded as well. All functions print the results of their conversions to standard output. The exit status of all functions is that of the command 'awk', with '0' for success FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> Converts STRING - a string of ASCII characters - to URL. urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> Coverts FILE of URL-encoded text to plain text urlEncodeStream [-l] Converts text from standard input to URL-text. urlDecodeString <STRING> Converts URL-encoded string STRING back to text. urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> Converts the URL-encoded text in FILE to plain text. urlDecodeStream Converts the URL-encoded text from standard input to plain-text AUTHORS
Alon Keren <alon.keren@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux