Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass the value from pipe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass the value from pipe Post 302940618 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 7th of April 2015 05:21:58 PM
Old 04-07-2015
If you want the variable in the main shell (instead of a subshell)
then define a function:
Code:
yday() { 
    date '+%m %d %Y' | { 
        read MONTH DAY YEAR;
        DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1`;
        case "$DAY" in 
            0)
                MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1`;
                case "$MONTH" in 
                    0)
                        MONTH=12;
                        YEAR=`expr "$YEAR" -1`
                    ;;
                esac;
                DAY=`cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep . | fmt -1 | tail -1`
            ;;
        esac;
        vardt=$?;
        if [ $vardt -ne 0 ]; then
            echo "ERROR DURING SPOOLING PREVIOUS DAY DATE.";
            exit 1;
        fi;
        echo "${MONTH}/${DAY}/${YEAR}"
    }
}
# main shell
YDAY=`yday`
echo $YDAY

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pipe help

i made a lot of processes. here is the code: main() { printf("\nEnter K="); scanf("%d",&k); printf("Enter L="); scanf("%d",&l); printf("\nFather id=%d\n",getpid()); x=0; makechild(); sleep(2); return 1; } int makechild() { for(q=1;q<=k;q++) { if(f=fork()) { ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb666
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pf not working properly even with only "pass in all" and "pass out all" rules

i have two rules in my pf.conf file, "pass in all" and "pass out all" i was having issues with getting pf working to begin with, so i went with starting from nothing and working on up. i have an ultrasparc ultra1 200e, with an added 4-port fast ethernet sbus card, running "3.4 GENERIC#85... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass more than one input with pipe ("|")

Hi everyone, Is there any way to use the pipe "|" operator to pass more than one input? For instance do: (command1) (command2) | command3 with command 3 taking 2 parameters? or maybe using ``s? Thanks! Anthony (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthony.cros
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a field from awk in a pipe?

Thanks in advance : ) I try for a long time searching for a way to split a large gzip csv file into many gzip files (except for the last sub-file which is to joint the next big file's children.) All the subfiles are to be named by the field. But I only managed to split them into the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingsley
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use pipe

Hi, guys: I am working on my shell using c. How can I use pipe to implement the following? ls -l 1>> | grep hellp 1<< 2>> | less 2<< (the output of ls goes to grep, and the output of grep goes to less) Thanks Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass parameter to pipe command row-wise?

Hi, I have a list of parameter in a file. I want to pass them one by one to piped command and syntax is like <command> <parameter> <command continues> How to achieve that ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function in one-linef and pass arguments in a pipe

I need to declare a function, this function will contain a script, this script cannot be in a file but must be piped. and then, for the script to run, i need to pass arguments to it. everything has to be on one line. so i'm basically looking for a one-liner here's what i'm doing: myfunc ()... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat a script, pipe it, then pass arguments to it?

suppose i have a perl script that is normally run this way: ./checkdisk.pl -H hostname -w 40 -c 80 but, for whatever reason, i cannot run the script directly as it should. But i can cat it through pipe. How can i pass the arguments "-H hostname -w 40 -c 80"? so this is what i'm doing,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD