Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Correct way to read data of different formats into same struct Post 302940522 by yifangt on Monday 6th of April 2015 11:01:45 PM
Old 04-07-2015
Thank you!
Quote:
......plain readability of line-per-record is much better than the other one, which is always helpful
The major reason I post this question is to understand the "flow of the data" to process. I was comparing these situation with awk which by default processes the file by row, or set the RS/FS separator if fields are in different rows.In practice I do come across this situation (one-part-per-line) more often than (one-record-per-line), especially the output from other equipment, and it is not unusual to have > 50x millions records (=200x millions of lines).
Same situation for this data format I can think of is, spaces-containing-string for each variable. It is better to have them in different lines. For example:
Code:
struct bookInfo {
char book_name[100];
char author[100]; 
int pulish_year;                    //Corrected publish_year
char press_name[60];
}

Space is inserted to separate different records for easier view only
Code:
data.txt

C Programming Language  
B. W. Kernighan & D. M. Ritchie
Prentice Hall

C Programming: A Modern Approach 
K. N. King
W. W. Norton & Company

Absolute Beginner’s Guide To C 
Greg Perry
Sams Publishing

C Primer Plus 
Stephen Prata
Sams Publishing

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets 
Peter V. Linden 
Prentice Hall

I can't imagine if they are in single line with mixture of spaces tab, quotes etc. Clear delimiter is needed, but it will be a new thread for this problem, as I do have difficulty to read in this type of data into structure in C.

Come back to the code part of my first post of this thread, I did not realize it is related to fscanf() that I was not sure of, but I AM SURE that my problem is related to data "stream" from STDIN or FILE, that's why I use awk RS/FS as a reference.
So, my question is: How does fscanf() processing the second scenario (format2.dat), i.e. record member is broken into different lines instead of being in a single line?

Last edited by yifangt; 04-07-2015 at 05:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from data file

Hi, I have a data file formatted like this: Ex: Mike 3434 Jack 481 Peter 12 Alan 926 I want to get this data into 2 variables: "Names" and "Numbers" that I can using one "for" loop to get the value as Names and Numbers Like this: for i in 0 1 2 3 do echo $Names echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

3. Programming

writing binary/struct data to file

I am trying to write binary data to a file. My program below: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> struct tinner { int j; int k; }; struct touter { int i; struct tinner *inner; }; int main() { struct touter data; data.i = 10; struct tinner... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to access a struct within a struct?

Can someone tell me how to do this? Just a thought that entered my mind when learning about structs. First thought was: struct one { struct two; } struct two { three; } one->two->three would this be how you would access "three"? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unbelievable21
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from a log file with date formats

Hello, I have a log file for the year, which contains lines starting with the data in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. I need to get all the lines that contain the DD being 04, how would I do this? I tried using grep "*-*04" but it didn't work. Any quick one liners I should know about? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpickering
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

struct utsname throwing error : Value too large to be stored in data type

Hi, I am trying to fetch sysname and nodename using struct utsname. I have two HP-UX servers on with 10 characters and other with 13 characters host name. For the first one I am getting truncated 8 characters as output but for the second one i am getting "Value too large to be stored in data type"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivarajbm
1 Replies

7. Programming

Storing C++-struct in file - problem when adding new item in struct

Hi, I have received an application that stores some properties in a file. The existing struct looks like this: struct TData { UINT uSizeIncludingStrings; // copy of Telnet data struct UINT uSize; // basic properties: TCHAR szHost; //defined in Sshconfig UINT iPortNr; TCHAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powerponken
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to get correct data using awk

I have this input.|user1 |10.10.10.10 |23|046|1726 (212) |0 |user2 |10.10.10.11 |23|046|43 (17) |0 |test |10.10.10.12 |23|046|45 (10) |0 |test1 |10.10.10.13 |23|046|89 (32) |0 I need to get the data for a user like thisuser1 1726 user2 43 test 45 test1 89... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to correct the data

Hi, I have below data in my flat file.I would like to remove the quotes and comma necessary from the data.Below is the details I would like to have in my output. Could anybody help me providing the Unix shell script for this. Input : ABC,ABC,10/15/2012,"47,936,164.567 ","1,036,997.453... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)