Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter on one column and then perform conditional calculations on another column with a Linux script Post 302939519 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 26th of March 2015 07:15:38 AM
Old 03-26-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
A few comments on your code:
  1. There is no do ... while loop in awk.
[..]
Actually there is:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{ do print "Hello" ++i; while(i<10) }'

Although it cannot be used like the OP uses it..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-26-2015 at 08:28 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000.

Could someone tell me how to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000 in Korn Shell? When I tried to do it it gave me the wrong answer. e.g. I have a ksh file with the contents below: --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh SUM=`expr 2150000000 + 2` PRODUCT=`expr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional aggregation and print of a column in file

Hi My input file looks like field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 :::::::::::: :::::::::::: There may be one space of multiple spaces between fields and no fields contains spaces in them. If field 1 to 4 are equal for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a column with a value conditional on a value in col1

Hi, Perhaps a rather simple problem...? I have data that looks like this. BPC0013 ANNUL_49610 0 0 1 1 BPC0014 ANNUL_49642 0 0 2 1 BPC0015 ANNUL_49580 0 0 1 1 BPC0016 ANNUL_49596 0 0 2 1 BPC0017 VULGO_49612 0 0 1 1 BPC0018 ANNUL_49628 0 0 1 1 BPC0019 ANNUL_49692 0 0 2 1 170291_HMG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enter third column & Perform Operation

I am trying to enter a third column in this file, but the third column should that I call "Math" perform a some math calculations based on the value found in column #2. Here is the input file: Here is the desired output: Output GERk0203078$ Levir Math Cotete_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk , conditional involving line and column

Dear All, I indeed your help for managing resarch data file. for example I have, data1.txt : type of atoms z vz Si 34 54 O 20 56 H 14 13 Si 40 17 O ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line / script option to filter a data set by values of one column

Hi all! I have a data set in this tab separated format : Label, Value1, Value2 An instance is "data.txt" : 0 1 1 -1 2 3 0 2 2 I would like to parse this data set and generate two files, one that has only data with the label 0 and the other with label -1, so my outputs should be, for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnat01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script concatenate two column and perform mutiplication

Need your help in solving this puzzle. Any kind of help will be appreciated and link for any documents to read and learn and to deal with such scenarios would be helpful Concatenate column1 and column2 of file 1. Then check for the concatenated value in Column1 of File2. If found extract the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Column Value

Hi Folks, I'm trying tog ain further experience with shell programming and have set my a small goal of writing a little filesystem monitoring script. So far my output is as follows: PACMYDB03 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Status /usr/local/mysql/data ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axleuk
5 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD