Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The Terminal on Mac: Coding
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) The Terminal on Mac: Coding Post 302939032 by Corona688 on Saturday 21st of March 2015 09:53:03 AM
Old 03-21-2015
To summarize that, your mistake is akin to mistaking the monitor for the computer, and expecting it to work by itself. It does not work that way, and cannot be made to work that way, and if you insist on using it that way, all we can tell you is good luck.

Install the right programs and you will have the right programs. Don't and you won't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X/UNIX/Terminal Question

Hey everyone I'm new to UNIX due to the new Mac OS X operating system and would like some help. I'm trying to send an email via the UNIX-Shell-Terminal i Mac OS X, (it's called darwin) How do I do that? When I enter the Command mail I can send messages to root and with the command -forward... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onkel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding on my Mac

I would like to start coding on my mac, but I'm getting an error when I attempt to execute my script -bash : testscript: command not found I have verified that the #! line points to the correct directory. If you have some insight it would be greatly appreciated! - D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems installing a program through Terminal in Mac OS X

Hey all.. I have a problem with the BitTorrent client called Deluge. (Deluge BitTorrent Client). Followed the guide on their homepage, but can't get it to work. First of all I have installed Xcode Tools 3.0 and MacPorts. I did the "sudo port install deluge" command, and all packages seemed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sixmax
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I list all users from a terminal window in MAC?

Hi, What command is needed to find all or certain users from a terminal window in MAC OS X 10.5? Where is a list of categorized commands that could help me find answers similar to this particular question? Thanks. Juan Dent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Juan Dent
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

New to Mac OS X Terminal

Hi everyone. I'm new to using the Terminal and was just wondering if anyone had a link to perhaps a list of commands. And tips on some useful websites to visit or books to read. Oh and is there a way to delete just part of the Terminal's history? If so what is the command? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsemperidem5
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create new users on my mac from the terminal

I finally got how to su - in my mac from the terminal. Now I would like to be able to add new users. useradd -m -d ..... doesn't seem to work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigmac18
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to checkout from SVN using Terminal in Mac OS X?

Hi, I am new for SVN. Earlier I have been using CVS. When I checkout the code from SVN using Eclipse, the size of the source code checked out is 612MB. But when I try to checkout from terminal, from my 5.8 branch , the checked out source code's size is only 312.1 MB. Can anyone tell me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afreen
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close a mac terminal

Is there a trick to closing a mac terminal with a command? I would think you could just type exit into your terminal but that doesn't work. I also tried quit and close just for the hell of it and that didn't work either. Does anyone know what the command is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

10. Open Source

The Terminal on Mac OS X

Does anyone know the differences in commands when it come to Linux and Mac OS X? I'm wanting to know if I use "this" command in Linux and It doesn't work in Mac then what command is equivalent to the one in Linux. Example Ctrl+Alt+f2 switches to (tty2) so what equivalent switches to ttys2 on Mac? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
13 Replies
XScreenSaver(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   XScreenSaver(1)

NAME
phosphor - simulates an old terminal with long-sustain phosphor SYNOPSIS
phosphor [-display host:display.screen] [-window] [-root] [-install] [-visual visual] [-font font] [-scale int] [-ticks int] [-delay usecs] [-program command] DESCRIPTION
The phosphor program draws text on the screen in a very large pixellated font that looks like an old low resolution dumb tty. The pixels flare and fade out as if the phosphor was very long-sustain. OPTIONS
phosphor accepts the following options: -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -install Install a private colormap for the window. -visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -font font-name The X font to use. Phosphor can take any font and scale it up to pixellate it. The default is fixed. -scale int How much to scale the font up: in other words, the size in real pixels of the simulated pixels. Default 6. -ticks int The number of colors to use when fading to black. Default 20. -delay usecs The speed of the terminal: how long to wait between drawing each character. Default 50000, or about 1/20th second. -program sh-command The command to run to generate the text to display. This option may be any string acceptable to /bin/sh. The program will be run at the end of a pipe, and any characters that it prints to stdout will be printed on phosphor's window. The characters will be printed artificially slowly, as per the -delay option above. If the program exits, it will be launched again after 5 seconds. Note that phosphor is not a terminal emulator: programs that try to directly address the screen will not do what you might expect. Phosphor merely draws the characters on the screen left to right, top to bottom. Lines wrap when they reach the right edge, and the screen scrolls when characters reach the bottom. In other words, programs like fortune(1) will work, but programs like top(1) won't. Here's a good trick, to get phosphor to display recent web search terms: phosphor -program 'wget -qO- http://webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/SearchTicker' ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
wget(1), X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, 27-Apr-99. X Version 11 30-Oct-99 XScreenSaver(1)