Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Z/os USS: 'man' fails to read bookmaster Post 302938865 by maraixadm on Thursday 19th of March 2015 03:00:22 PM
Old 03-19-2015
Z/os USS: 'man' fails to read bookmaster

we have two z/OS instances, on one the 'man' command finds input content, formats and displays it and caches the results. All good:

Code:
SYS$JB:/VERSYSB/usr/man/C/man1: >man -x date
Trying /usr/man/C/cat1/date.1
Trying /var/man/C/date.1.*
Trying /usr/man/C/man1/*.book
        Trying /usr/man/C/man1/bpxa5mst.book
        Looking for topic "date" in /usr/man/C/man1/bpxa5mst.book
        And converting to codepage 1047
  date -- Display the date and time

On the other, it can't find the input content, so for example 'man ls' says it can't find any content for 'ls':

Code:
TEST4:/u/test4: >man -x date
Trying /usr/man/C/cat1/date.1
Trying /var/man/C/date.1.*
Trying /usr/man/C/man1/*.book
        Trying /usr/man/C/man1/bpxa5mst.book
        Looking for topic "date" in /usr/man/C/man1/bpxa5mst.book
        Can't read this book. bookread() reported error: 112105
        Trying /usr/man/C/man1/fcxd3m10.book
        Looking for topic "date" in /usr/man/C/man1/fcxd3m10.book
        Can't read this book. bookread() reported error: 112105

apparently failing to chew the Bookmaster input. The bpxa5mst.book files on the two systems have the same checksums.

Any ideas ? I'm guessing that there's an issue with Bookmaster config, but I sit on the *IX side of the house so it's just a guess.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

USS (unix) on the Mainframe

am wanting to know if the board is worth my time and effort since I work with USS (Unix System Services) on a Mainframe computer. If there are others who use USS on the Mainframe this will be helpfull. I dont want to spend my time racking up the number of posts I have nor should anyone else. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javagate
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USS (unix) on the Mainframe

Does anyone work with USS on an IBM Mainframe computer on this msg board? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javagate
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read man pages

can anybody explain me how to read unix man pages? for example when i want to get information about ps command man ps gives me this output: *********************************** Reformatting page. Please wait... completed ps(1) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to read the man page for commands related to cluster

Hi Experts, In my system cluster is installed and the related files are inside /usr/cluster. I want to use the man page of command which are related to cluster. The man pages related to cluster are inside /usr/cluster/man, however I am not sure how can I read the man page for command ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

5. Programming

Not able to compile C program on z/OS (USS)

Hi, I having an issue while compiling a C program in USS (z/OS) machine. I was able to create objest files (.o) from source (.c) files but when I try to create a binary file from the object files I am getting the below error. $ cc util.o sock.o app.o -lnsl -o ptf FSUM3067 The archive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read fails in Unix, but succeeds in Linux. Why?

Hi, When I use "read" to parse the sftp command sent via ptty, I ran into a very mysterious case below: --- In Unix, the command ‘quit' is lost. === Fri 13Apr12 15:42:47GMT-sftp_send_command: SENT Fri 13Apr12 15:42:47GMT-sftp_read_resp_line: Parse buffer=quit^M --> Command sent correctly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HgHK
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN and read & write function

How to use MAN to find information about read() and write() function ? The command "man read" show some rubbish, for example "man open" show great information about function I need. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tomcat 6.0 fails to read symlink(symbolic link) file

Hello all experts, Im in a situation where Tomcat simply does not want to read this file through the symlink.... I checked permissions..OK Also checked file & tomcat owner...all OK. This is what I have my /tomcat/conf/Catalina/local/appname.xml <Context> <Resource name="jdbc/black" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingaKoopa
3 Replies
DH_LINK(1)							     Debhelper								DH_LINK(1)

NAME
dh_link - create symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_link [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [sourcedestination...] DESCRIPTION
dh_link is a debhelper program that creates symlinks in package build directories. dh_link accepts a list of pairs of source and destination files. The source files are the already existing files that will be symlinked from (called target by ln(1)). The destination files are the symlinks that will be created (called link name by ln(1)). There must be an equal number of source and destination files specified. Be sure you do specify the absolute path to both the source and destination files (unlike you would do if you were using something like ln(1)). Please note that the leading slash is optional. dh_link will generate symlinks that comply with Debian policy - absolute when policy says they should be absolute, and relative links with as short a path as possible. It will also create any subdirectories it needs to put the symlinks in. Any pre-existing destination files will be replaced with symlinks. dh_link also scans the package build tree for existing symlinks which do not conform to Debian policy, and corrects them (v4 or later). FILES
debian/package.links Lists pairs of source and destination files to be symlinked. Each pair should be put on its own line, with the source and destination separated by whitespace. In each pair the source file (called target by ln(1)) comes first and is followed by the destination file (called link name by ln(1)). Thus the pairs of source and destination files in each line are give in the same order as they would be given to ln(1). In contrast to ln(1), source and destination paths must be absolute (the leading slash is optional). OPTIONS
-A, --all Create any links specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on, not just the first. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude symlinks that contain item anywhere in their filename from being corrected to comply with Debian policy. source destination ... Create a file named destination as a link to a file named source. Do this in the package build directory of the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified.) EXAMPLES
dh_link usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make bar.1 be a symlink to foo.1 dh_link var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make /usr/lib/foo/ be a link to /var/lib/foo/, and bar.1 be a symlink to the foo.1 var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Same as above but as content for a debian/package.links file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_LINK(1)