Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX fun stuff - echo and dc - obfuscate/garble a string sort of Post 302938811 by newbie_01 on Thursday 19th of March 2015 05:40:50 AM
Old 03-19-2015
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated. Totally agree with what you suggested RE: delivering password security.

Just to clarify though, does that mean it is not possible to do the reverse of
Code:
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc

? Smilie

I am a bit curious of a way to a generate a 'magic'/garbled string of some sort. For example, how do I work out what string echo | dc would give me 'Hello World'? It does not have to be echo | dc, perhaps there is another UNIX command that is easier to use that can achieve the same thing.

I know it is trivial. I guess that is why I say UNIX fun Smilie I want to create a simple tagline of some sort to use for my scripts so I can more easily identify which ones I've written and not tampered with.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-19-2015 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo display alignment/sort order

Hi, My script prints a few varibales as each it reads each line of a text file and then prints them on screen, however iam having problem in aligning and sorting them. what happens is this Last First Number Mark leo 87798798... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shackman66
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

FUN POLL: What is the best UNIX/Linux for. . .?

With so many different flavors of UNIX and Linux available in the world, choosing the best one for yourself, your family, or for your organization can be such an overwhelming and rather difficult decision to make! :eek: If you were a salesman and you had to decide the best UNIX/Linux distro for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrrrrrNiceGuy
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Time to have FUN my Unix/Linux friends...(One liners)...MUST read.. !!

As a mind refresher, I was thinking to start a new thread for ONE LINERS....funny/weird or any technical one liners.... Let me start first...... ================================= #!/bin/ssh #The Unix Guru's View of Sex unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

intro to UNIX - making a sort-of recycle bin (for fun)

Hello, I'm only taking Intro to UNIX in school right now, so please bear with me. My problem is with a sort-of recycle-bin rig I've created for fun. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, I am the admin. (only user, actually) of this computer. I'm using this script in ~/.bashrc # if files exist, remove contents... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
6 Replies

5. Programming

Obfuscate'ing a.out ... ???

Hi all, I've search the forums regarding posts similar to this already but can't find the suitable response. Am actually looking for something very trivial I think. I just want to mask/obfuscate the a.out file and run it like a normal UNIX program. I've look at gpg and encryption but it requires... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSH: echo a string having []

I am trying to use echo in CSH and getting an error. I want to use to tell the user which parameters are optional. set msg2 = " -Inmod= -Nxz= -Varp=" echo $msg2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Programming

How to hide from UNIX strings - obfuscate or hide a literal or constant?

Hi, I need to somehow pipe the password to a command and run some SQL, for example, something like echo $password | sqlplus -s system @query01.sql To make it not so obvious, I decided to try out writing a small C program that basically just do echo $password. So now I just do x9.out | sqlplus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String size limit for 'echo'...

Hi guys, man bash doesn't help much here nor does the WWW. (I have discovered there is technically no limit to a bash array.) I am thinking of adding a new full manual inside AudioScope.sh. A few questions here. The main question is, assuming I go ahead with this idea:- Is there a limit... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX: passing stuff to a shell function

I have users that print files to selected printers. Instead of creating one function for each printer I would like to have just one and passing the files to print as well as the wanted printer. The following code does not work, of course. I'm expecting that $1 is the list of files to be printed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
6 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)