Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed Exact Match when Dot is present Post 302938769 by grep_me on Wednesday 18th of March 2015 11:52:08 PM
Old 03-19-2015
Right, I am aware of that Jim. But I want only the exact words to be replaced. Not all.
It should not remove the Bottle from "Bottle.Water".
Is there a way to tell sed to treat dots like underscores while searching?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I match . (actual dot) using sed?

Hi All, How can I match . (actual dot) using sed? Please help. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed or grep to find exact match of text

Hi, Can anyone help me with the text editing I need here. I have a file that contains the following lines for example: (line numbers are for illustration only) 1 Hello world fantasy. 2 Hello worldfuntastic. 3 Hello world wonderful. I would like to get all those lines of text that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace exact match, not first occurrence.

Lets say I have file.txt: (Product:Price:QuantityAvailable) (: as delimiter) Chocolate:5:5 Banana:33:3 I am doing a edit/update function. I want to change the Quantity Available, so I tried using the SED command to replace 5, but my Price which is also 5 is changed instead. (for the Banana... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact match using sed

I would like replace all the rows in a file if a row has an exact match to number say 21 in a tab delimited file. I want to delete the row only if it has 21 any of the rows but it should not delecte the row that has 542178 or 563421. I tried this sed '/\<21\>/d' ./inputfile > output.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact String with sed command

I have a workaround to the problem i m posting, however if someone wants to look at my query and respond ... i will appreciate. This is in reference to this thread -> https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/267630-extract-between-two-exact-matched-strings.html I have data.txt as... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
PPI::Token::Regexp::Match(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      PPI::Token::Regexp::Match(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::Regexp::Match - A standard pattern match regex INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Regexp::Match isa PPI::Token::Regexp isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element SYNOPSIS
$text =~ m/match regexp/; $text =~ /match regexp/; DESCRIPTION
A "PPI::Token::Regexp::Match" object represents a single match regular expression. Just to be doubly clear, here are things that are and aren't considered a match regexp. # Is a match regexp /This is a match regexp/; m/Old McDonald had a farm/eieio; # These are NOT match regexp qr/This is a regexp quote-like operator/; s/This is a/replace regexp/; METHODS
There are no methods available for "PPI::Token::Regexp::Match" beyond those provided by the parent PPI::Token::Regexp, PPI::Token and PPI::Element classes. Got any ideas for methods? Submit a report to rt.cpan.org! SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::Regexp::Match(3)