Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed Exact Match when Dot is present Post 302938759 by grep_me on Wednesday 18th of March 2015 06:51:56 PM
Old 03-18-2015
Linux sed Exact Match when Dot is present

I am trying to replace exact word from my text. I know using the angled brackets does the trick. But it is not working when there is a dot in the text.

Code:
echo "Bottle BottleWater Bottle Can" | sed 's/\<Bottle\>//g'
 BottleWater  Can

But if my data has a dot or hash in it, it replaces all the occurrences of Bottle.
Code:
echo "Bottle Bottle.Water Bottle Can" | sed 's/\<Bottle\>//g'
 .Water  Can

Code:
echo "Bottle Bottle#Water Bottle Can" | sed 's/\<Bottle\>//g'
 #Water  Can

As you can see it is replacing all occurances of "Bottle" when there is a dot present.
The input data is not in my control. So I cant change or escape the characters.
Is there a way I can replace the exact match using sed, when a dot is present in the data?
I have to use Sed, since my code is generating a lot of sed text using -e options so I can run all of that in one go.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I match . (actual dot) using sed?

Hi All, How can I match . (actual dot) using sed? Please help. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed or grep to find exact match of text

Hi, Can anyone help me with the text editing I need here. I have a file that contains the following lines for example: (line numbers are for illustration only) 1 Hello world fantasy. 2 Hello worldfuntastic. 3 Hello world wonderful. I would like to get all those lines of text that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace exact match, not first occurrence.

Lets say I have file.txt: (Product:Price:QuantityAvailable) (: as delimiter) Chocolate:5:5 Banana:33:3 I am doing a edit/update function. I want to change the Quantity Available, so I tried using the SED command to replace 5, but my Price which is also 5 is changed instead. (for the Banana... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact match using sed

I would like replace all the rows in a file if a row has an exact match to number say 21 in a tab delimited file. I want to delete the row only if it has 21 any of the rows but it should not delecte the row that has 542178 or 563421. I tried this sed '/\<21\>/d' ./inputfile > output.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact String with sed command

I have a workaround to the problem i m posting, however if someone wants to look at my query and respond ... i will appreciate. This is in reference to this thread -> https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/267630-extract-between-two-exact-matched-strings.html I have data.txt as... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)