Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need ideas in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need ideas in shell script Post 302938671 by sea on Wednesday 18th of March 2015 10:50:50 AM
Old 03-18-2015
For this i would recomend to use 2 crontab entries and 2 scripts.

First crontab/script to inform the admin/user that the maintainance script will run in 24 hrs (so the next day)
Second crontab/script to execute the maintainance script.

For how to send a local mail to the user, please use the search function of the forum.
Search for like: send mail
And have a look at some code blocks in the listed threads.

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any Ideas?

I have several staging directories on my UNIX server. /usr2/data1 /usr2/data2 /usr2/data3 /usr2/data4 /usr2/data5 /usr2/data6 In these directories a file is transferred from different PC's connected to the network via TCP/IP. The File name is constant for all directories. Transfers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Any Ideas !!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I installed sybase server on a LINUX server. I assigen port 2025 whilst installation for sybase , later i uninstalled sybase and when i try to reinstall sybase and use port 2025 it throw up error saying that it is already in use, use other port number. How can I re-use the same port number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suda
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ideas for perl script - strings,conditionals..etc

I have a matrix , how do I compare all the elements of a column , lets say I want to check if the columns contain the alphabets "S","H","A","R","A","T". and not "X"s. Lets say matrix looks something like this .. SSSXSH HHXXHA AAXXAT RRRXRS AAXTAR TTTTTA I can hard code it where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharatz83
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Help/Ideas?

I understand the code in the following may not be perfect, but I'll work that out. I'm more looking for ideas on how to do what I need more efficiently. I have log files that are archived each day so today's log is called nmslog, yesterday's is nmslog.1.gz, 2 days ago nmslog.2.gz, etc. I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

any ideas?

i need to compare to dates/times given in the format MMDDhhmmYY. That is month, day, hour, minute, year. It is a 24 hour clock. I need to compare two dates to check that they are, say, less than 900 seconds apart. I have got to a point where it checks the time, turns the values into seconds and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwabbly
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Script that writes max lines of a file - Any ideas how to fix?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmiller99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script problem using find, ideas?

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to search through my computer and find all .jpg files and put them all in a directory. So far I have this: for i in `find /home -name '*.jpg' ` ; do mv $i home/allen/Pictures/PicturesFound ; done When I run it, I get this error (this is only part of it, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FortressPTH
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Distributing script projects, suggestions/ideas?

Heyas If you recall, not too long ago, i was asking about the GNU Autotools. The feedback on that was almost unisense, and me figured that it turned my (back then) +98% SHELL project into a +73% GROFF project... :( Felt a bit overhelmed, specialy since i didnt actualy use or need the true... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)