Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need ideas in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need ideas in shell script Post 302938662 by ramkumar15 on Wednesday 18th of March 2015 09:27:48 AM
Old 03-18-2015
Need ideas in shell script

Hi Gurus,

I need a simple logic idea what can be done in the below shell script.

I written a script to do a automated maintenance work on every month of 15th and I have scheduled it through the crontab. I need to send an alert email to the user before 24 hrs of that maintenance script run.

do I need to schedule a script script for the alert email before the main script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any Ideas?

I have several staging directories on my UNIX server. /usr2/data1 /usr2/data2 /usr2/data3 /usr2/data4 /usr2/data5 /usr2/data6 In these directories a file is transferred from different PC's connected to the network via TCP/IP. The File name is constant for all directories. Transfers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Any Ideas !!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I installed sybase server on a LINUX server. I assigen port 2025 whilst installation for sybase , later i uninstalled sybase and when i try to reinstall sybase and use port 2025 it throw up error saying that it is already in use, use other port number. How can I re-use the same port number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suda
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ideas for perl script - strings,conditionals..etc

I have a matrix , how do I compare all the elements of a column , lets say I want to check if the columns contain the alphabets "S","H","A","R","A","T". and not "X"s. Lets say matrix looks something like this .. SSSXSH HHXXHA AAXXAT RRRXRS AAXTAR TTTTTA I can hard code it where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharatz83
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Help/Ideas?

I understand the code in the following may not be perfect, but I'll work that out. I'm more looking for ideas on how to do what I need more efficiently. I have log files that are archived each day so today's log is called nmslog, yesterday's is nmslog.1.gz, 2 days ago nmslog.2.gz, etc. I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

any ideas?

i need to compare to dates/times given in the format MMDDhhmmYY. That is month, day, hour, minute, year. It is a 24 hour clock. I need to compare two dates to check that they are, say, less than 900 seconds apart. I have got to a point where it checks the time, turns the values into seconds and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwabbly
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Script that writes max lines of a file - Any ideas how to fix?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmiller99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script problem using find, ideas?

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to search through my computer and find all .jpg files and put them all in a directory. So far I have this: for i in `find /home -name '*.jpg' ` ; do mv $i home/allen/Pictures/PicturesFound ; done When I run it, I get this error (this is only part of it, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FortressPTH
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Distributing script projects, suggestions/ideas?

Heyas If you recall, not too long ago, i was asking about the GNU Autotools. The feedback on that was almost unisense, and me figured that it turned my (back then) +98% SHELL project into a +73% GROFF project... :( Felt a bit overhelmed, specialy since i didnt actualy use or need the true... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD