Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using freq in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using freq in script Post 302938026 by member2014 on Wednesday 11th of March 2015 11:48:28 AM
Old 03-11-2015
Thanks Chubler_XL, Robin and RudiC. This is really helpful.

I changed Chubler_XL's code to use 8 characters and it is working perfectly.

Robin - Thanks for your suggestion. The test file I have provided here is just a sample. The original file have over 150 columns and is a big file with around 1MM records per cycle.
I think the if statement will be better for this file so we dont' have to read all records.

RudiC - your suggestion on exit when you hit an invalid entry is really good. That way we don't have to go through the entire file.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
esdrec(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         esdrec(1)

NAME
esdrec - record a sound file SYNOPSIS
esdrec [-s hostname:port] [-b] [-h] [-m] [-r freq] DESCRIPTION
The esdrec application pipes data from the sound device to stdout using the Enlightened Sound Daemon (esd). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s hostname:portContact the esd server on hostname at port. -b Specify that the output should be in 8-bit format. By default, the output is in 16-bit format. -h Display help text, and exit. -m Specify that the output should be in mono format. By default, the output is in stereo format. -r freq Specify that the output rate should be set to freq. By default, the output rate is set to 44.1 kHz. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Record sound from sound device to file "sample" example% esdrec > sample EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/esdrec Executable for Enlightened Sound Daemon sound recorder. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-audio | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
esdcat(1), esdmon(1), esdplay(1), esdsample(1), esdctl(1), esd-config(1), libesd(3) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 8 Jan 2003 esdrec(1)