Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add serial from second file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add serial from second file Post 302937959 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 11th of March 2015 02:17:17 AM
Old 03-11-2015
If you save the following awk script in a file named Serials.awk:
Code:
BEGIN {	FS = OFS = ","
}
FNR == NR {
	n[$1,++nc[$1]] = $2
	next
}
FILENAME == "Serials.csv" {
	nextfile
}
FNR == 1 {
	if(of != "")
		close(of)
	of = FILENAME ".out"
}
{	if(!($1 in nc))
		print $1, "absent", $2 > of
	else {	print $1, n[$1, 1], $2 > of
		if(FNR == 3)
			for(i = 2; i <= nc[$1]; i++)
				print $1, n[$1, i], $2 > of
	}
}

Then the awk command:
Code:
awk -f Serials.awk Serials.csv *.csv

might be all that you need. If it gives you an argument list too long error, try the following instead:
Code:
ls | grep '.csv$' | xargs awk -f Serials.awk Serials.csv

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change the awk in the above commands to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk.

If the awk utility on your system does not support the nextfile function, change the line in Serials.awk that currently says:
Code:
	nextfile

to:
Code:
	next

The above script produces the output you requested, except the order of the a/b lines is different in some of the *.out files, and the line:
Code:
namec3,s8,,a/b

in File3.csv.out comes out as:
Code:
namec3,s8,a/b

which seems to be what you requested.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

add printer on serial port

I want to add printer on a serial port can I get full details of all parameters like baudrate, parity,flow control, ... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hegazy Mahdy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting serial inputs to a file?

i have an external device sending serial messages i want to connect this device to a serial port in my sun blade box and record those messages to a file, how can i read the serial port and write it to file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilartec
4 Replies

3. SCO

Serial File Transfer

I need to transfer files from a sco/unix system to a windows xp system and they are only connected via a digiboard serial connection. The terminal emulation software connects and runs a program but I need to transfer files. Anyone know a good solution? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chansen
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies

5. SCO

Need some advice concerning file transfer with a serial connection

Hi, I have a SCO Unix ver 5.0.7 from which I need to get some files. The problem is that I'm working remotely (have no physical access) and using Dejawin because this server is only has a serial connection to a Windows machine. Ucopy isn't on the server. What I was thinking is to do a print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartanboy184
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add a colume with serial # in a file

I am working on a file, I need add a column with serial # in a file, the column will be the first column. and the serial # will be decide by each raw, say if I have 6 raws, I need serial # from 1 to 6 in the first column. Anyone know how to add that. I really appreciate. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsnow86
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add serial number begining of each line in a text file

Dear All, i am having text file below rama 123 done raju 456 not done keshav 123 done ............... ............ i want to add a serial number to this file, the output should be 1 rama 123 done 2 raju 456 not done 3 keshav 123 done 99 ............... 100 ............ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file transfer using AWK over serial port

I have a unix system that only has AWK to program with which hooks up to a windows or linux based system with all progamming and software capabilities. The link between the systems is typically a 9600 baud TTY port on the AWK system and COM1 on the other system. I can cat <filenm> from the unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobfrog
4 Replies

9. Programming

Serial file transfer protocol / checksums

Hello ppl, I'm working on a windows program simulating an existing Unix program, the program is a firmware downloader, it sends a binary firmware file through the serial port (rs232) to a Set-Top Box running under unix system too, as i'm a poor unix user and not a unix programmer i choosed the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nidal
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send/receive file through serial using minicom

i have connected with my board through serial interface using minicom and i am running a bash script, which should test ethernet (ping test), USB read/write, RS232 .. I have managed to test ethernet and USB read/write. I test ethernet with ping. I test USB read/write, using dd and verifying... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxmember
10 Replies