Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command? Post 302937626 by cool.aquarian on Friday 6th of March 2015 05:30:11 PM
Old 03-06-2015
Computer How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi,

I am using awk here.
Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb).

I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function.
But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock).

I have tried the below ways, but both error out with code: 127 (Too many arguments)
Awk-extracted value inside the variable(payloadBlock) looks like:
payloadBlock="<?xml?><root> ... ... (lot of xml data) ... ... </root>";

Code:
CURL_RETURN_CODE=system("curl -s -S -X POST "URL" -H \"Content-Type: text/xml\" --data-binary '"payloadBlock"'");

Code:
CURL_RETURN_CODE=system("echo '"payloadBlock"' | curl -s -S -X POST "URL" -H \"Content-Type: text/xml\" --data-binary @-;");

Could you advise any better way to do this?
NOTE: I have to invoke curl from within awk only, as I am computing this string data inside awk script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Arguments too long"

Hi everyone, I know this sounds stupid but on my Sun solaris machine I have csh script that finds all files 7 days older and then moves it to another area. The find works but the move I get "Arguments too long". I know that in c shell can not handel more 1706 arguments. Can anyone give... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid "++ requires lvalue" Error in Loop Calculation

Hi All, Please help me to perform sum of values in a loop, I am getting following error: "total=0++432907765772: ++ requires lvalue" where actual statement is as : total=$total+$amt where amt can have +ve or -ve values Thanks Sandeepb (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepb
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Compliation Error in solaris - macro "min" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given

Hi, I am trying to compile our linux code base in solaris and came across the following issues. Am I suppose to do something special ? Can anyone help me to fix this issue. System : uname -a SunOS aspen 5.10 Generic_125100-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R The complier that I am using is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: learningkid
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M";output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M" output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6M" using linux shell script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to view full data "export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG"

Hi, Always when I login to Unix, I need to give the following command to view the data properly; export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG The reason is that by default the settings export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=SHORT Please let me know how I could make LONG as the default and avoid giving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error passing parameter in "sub" command in awk

I have to replace the pattern found in one file in another file with null/empty "" if found on the fields 3 or 4 ONLY File 1 ==== 10604747|Mxdef|9999|9999|9999|2012-03-04 00:00:59 10604747|Mcdef|8888|9999|8888|2012-03-04 00:00:59 . . . File 2 ==== 9999 8888 . . . Expected... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
CURLOPT_INFILESIZE(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options					     CURLOPT_INFILESIZE(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_INFILESIZE - set size of the input file to send off SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_INFILESIZE, long filesize); DESCRIPTION
When uploading a file to a remote site, filesize should be used to tell libcurl what the expected size of the input file is. This value must be passed as a long. See also CURLOPT_INFILESIZE_LARGE(3) for sending files larger than 2GB. For uploading using SCP, this option or CURLOPT_INFILESIZE_LARGE(3) is mandatory. To unset this value again, set it to -1. When sending emails using SMTP, this command can be used to specify the optional SIZE parameter for the MAIL FROM command. This option does not limit how much data libcurl will actually send, as that is controlled entirely by what the read callback returns, but telling one value and sending a different amount may lead to errors. DEFAULT
Unset PROTOCOLS
Many EXAMPLE
CURL *curl = curl_easy_init(); if(curl) { long uploadsize = FILE_SIZE; curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "ftp://example.com/destination.tar.gz"); curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1L); curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_INFILESIZE, uploadsize); curl_easy_perform(curl); } AVAILABILITY
SMTP support added in 7.23.0 RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK if the option is supported, and CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION if not. SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_INFILESIZE_LARGE(3), CURLOPT_UPLOAD(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 03, 2016 CURLOPT_INFILESIZE(3)