Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read mail attachments in AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Read mail attachments in AIX Post 302937513 by sparcguy on Thursday 5th of March 2015 09:31:59 PM
Old 03-05-2015
the 'old way' to read your emails if you have mailboxes on unix server

telnet localhost port 110

--example
telnet localhost 110
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

user darth
pass vader
list <--- will show a list of mails with index number
retr 5 <--- will retrieve mail number 5

of course only ascii in the mail can be seen if you have attachment it will just print the garbage character equivalent. you can of course point office communicator email like outlook to server and download email to view attachment.

as a side note such old style mailboxes on unix is very hackable very unsafe if your organization is still using this cheap method.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail attachments

I'm writing scripts on HP-UX. Is there a way to attach a file to a mail message. I don't want to imbed the data in the mail message. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Multithreaded
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file name got cut when using mail attachments

I am using the following command to send a zip file as an attachment to my internet email-id. uuencode ABC_DEFG_HIJ.zip ABC_DEFG_HIJ.zip | mail -s "attachment from shell" pal@yahoo.com Eventhough i have given the attached file as 'ABC_DEFG_HIJ.zip', when i receive the mail in my internet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pal
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending attachments in mail

Hi , i have tried the following command to send an email with an attachment its working fine but i am getting mail with the embeded content inside the mail that too truncated. i wanted it as an attachment. /usr/lib/sendmail -F "MAC SIA" address "rajendra@abc.com.sg" -t <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendragora
6 Replies

4. AIX

Send mail attachments and have a mail body

Hi, How can I send mail attachments from shell script (AIX) and have a mail body as well ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
1 Replies

5. Solaris

mail with attachments

I want to send a mail with three attachments, but nothing happened. I tried it with mail and mailx. Are there special options for these commands or is it not possible to send mails under Solaris with attachments? Must there be special adjustments in the environment? Can anyone give an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjadan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail attachments getting corrupted...

Hi , Whenever I try to send mails with attachments to external email Id's the attachment is not encoded properly which appears along with body (text) of the mail. The attachement is always getting corrupted. Can anyone please suggest a solution. Regards, Sandipan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sandipan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with multiple mail attachments

Hi everyone... I am facing problem with the multiple mail attachments. cd /work/mohan/pi_log/ mail_file='uuencode ahmedabad.csv ahmedabad.csv ; uuencode ahmedabad_devrpt_20110530.csv ahmedabad_devrpt_20110530.csv' ( $mail_file ) | mailx -m -s"test" domain@website.com its giving me error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanm
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Mail attachments using unix

:wall:hi all, please somebody can help me out in reading the pop3 mail attachments or saving it locally i have a mail account where i receive .csv attachments i need to read that attachments and process them. any sample code can be much appriciated Removed email :wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthkadapal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format text in mail attachments

Hi Gurus, I am working on a script that sends a text file attachment on mail from unix server to my widows outlook mail box. When i see the text file in UNIX it is perfectly formatted but when i open the same file in the mail, it looks weird as the next line is added to the same line. For... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Attachments to mail

Hi, I need to send a mail with html code in body and an attachment along with the body and subject. The html code must display a table with data in it in the mail. I have tried the 'sendmail' command, but I am am able to display the table in the mail and unable to attach an attachment. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Durga Prasad NK
5 Replies
TNEF(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      TNEF(1)

NAME
tnef - decode Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format SYNOPSIS
tnef [options] [FILE] tnef {--help | --version} DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the tnef filter. tnef decodes e-mail attachments encoded in Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (hereafter, TNEF), which "wraps" Microsoft e-mail attachments. Unfortunately, these "wrapped" attachments are inaccessible to any e-mail client that does not understand TNEF. Fortunately, the tnef fil- ter can be used by any MIME-aware client to unpack these attachments. OPTIONS
-f FILE, --file=FILE use FILE as input ('-' denotes stdin). When this option is omitted, tnef reads data from stdin. -C DIR, --directory=DIR unpack file attachments into DIR. -x SIZE, --maxsize=SIZE limit maximum size of extracted archive (bytes) -t, --list list attached files, do not extract. -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action. --overwrite when extracting attachments, overwrite existing files. --number-backups when extracting attachments, if file FOO will be overwritten, create FOO.n instead. --use-paths honor file pathnames specified in the TNEF attachment. For security reasons, paths to attached files are ignored by default. --save-body FILE Save message body data found in the TNEF data. There can be up to three message bodies in the file, plain text, HTML encoded, and RTF encoded. Which are saved is specified by the --body-pref option. By default the message bodies are written to a file named message with an extension based upon the type (txt, html, rtf). --body-pref PREF Specifies which of the possibly three message body formats will be saved. PREF can be up to three characters long and each charac- ter must be one of 'r', 'h', or 't' specifying RTF, HTML or text. The order is the order that the data will be checked, the first type found will be saved. If PREF is the special value of 'all' then any and all message body data found will be saved. The default is 'rht'. --save-rtf FILE DEPRECATED. Equivalent to --save-body=FILE --body-pref=r -h, --help show usage message. -V, --version display version and copyright. -v, --verbose produce verbose output. --debug enable debug output. EXAMPLE
The following example demonstrates typical tnef usage with a popular Unix mail client called "mutt". Step 1 -- Configure ~/.mailcap Mutt can't use tnef for its intended purpose until an appropriate content type definition exists in ~/.mailcap . Here's a sample defini- tion: application/ms-tnef; tnef -w %s This mailcap entry says that whenever the MIME content type: application/ms-tnef is encountered, use this command to decode it: tnef -w %s The latter command string invokes tnef, specifying both the -w option and the attachment (created as a temporary file) as command line arguments. Step 2 -- Add The Filter To $PATH Mutt can't invoke tnef if the filter isn't accessible via $PATH. Step 3 -- Test Mutt Use mutt to read a message that includes a TNEF attachment. Mutt will note that an attachment of type "application/ms-tnef is unsup- ported". Press the "v" key to open mutt's "view attachment" menu. Move the cursor over the TNEF attachment and press the enter key to "view" the attachment. Mutt will launch tnef and invoke it using the command line syntax specified in ~/.mailcap (step 1). tnef then decodes all file(s) included in the TNEF attachment, prompting for confir- mation prior to creating an individual file (refer to -w option above). -w is useful here because it gives the end user a chance to view the filename(s) included in the mail message. Note that Mutt's attachment menu also supports a pipe option, which permits the user to pipe attachments to an external filter (how conve- nient). So, to list the contents of a TNEF attachment prior to decoding it, press the "|" key and enter this command: tnef -t SEE ALSO
metamail(1), mailcap(4), mutt(1), other email clients. AUTHOR
Mark Simpson. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to Mark Simpson <verdammelt@users.sourceforge.net> OTHER REFERENCES
This web page: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q136/2/04.asp describes how to configure Microsoft email clients so that the TNEF format is disabled when sending messages to non-TNEF-compatible clients. Filter TNEF MIME Decoder TNEF(1)