Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - remove space and . for a pattern Post 302937269 by wahi80 on Wednesday 4th of March 2015 04:19:48 PM
Old 03-04-2015
sed - remove space and . for a pattern

Hi,

I have file which contains following lines
Code:
A| 965.|Mr.|35.45| 66.
B| 33.| a456.| 77.

The output should be
Code:
A|965|Mr.|35.45|66
B|33| a456.|77

Basically if a Number has space in prefix and . in suffix remove both.
So pattern could be if there is a | which has next two characters as space and number ending with a number.| remove space and .

The line below removes dot if "number.|" pattern occurs
Code:
sed -i -e 's/\ ([0-9]\).|/\1|/g' -e 's/\ ([0-9]\).$/\1/' file

I need something to search for
"| number" and make it |number

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:06 PM ----------

Hi,

I almost got what I wanted:
Code:
sed -i -e 's/\([0-9]\).|/\1|/g' -e 's/\([0-9]\).$/\1/' -e 's/|\s\([0-9]\)/|\1/g' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove everything up to the pattern

I have been search all over the internet to find a solution to this. I have a file that looks like: -a ItemConfig.custom=true -a Config.custom=true go -t malu -t Use=true I want to get "malu" as output, and the werid thing is the blank before go is neither space nor tab. what's the sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space in sed for / character

Hi... i need a script to remove the space before and after the operator like( / ). Ex : Input file apple / manago mango / fresh apple / fresh Desired output: apple/manago mango/fresh apple/fresh Note: betwee the desired operator space should be removed, between words do not remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate pattern space (sed)

Hi, I'm new to sed and i'm having a few difficulties.. I need to append the current line to the pattern space, which already contains that same line, e.g.: current line : test pattern space : test|test I was able to do this using the hold space, but the problem is that in the next step of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delucasvb
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern and hold space issues

Good day. Trying to make a sed script to take text file in a certain format and turn it into mostly formatted html. I'm 95% there but this last bit is hurting my head finally. Here's a portion of the text- Budgeting and Debt: Consumer Credit Counseling of Western PA CareerLink 112... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiendracer
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed pattern space/looping conundrum

Although my sed skills are gradually developing, thanks in large part to this forum, I'm having a hard time dealing with pattern space and looping, which I suspect is what I'll need a better handle on to figure out my current issue, which is converting a multi line file like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space and new line from a file using sed?

i am using the default sed package that comes with solaris. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove space with sed

Hello Folks , myfile contains 1000000 records as follows: logver=56 idseq=63256 itime=1111 devid=TG-40 devname=PUI-C2 vd=USER date=2019_01_10 time=18:39:49 logid="000013" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" eventtime=134 srcip=1.1.1.1 srcport=1 srcintf="XYX-CORE.01"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)