Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script almost works... one error Post 302936837 by bakunin on Saturday 28th of February 2015 09:24:05 AM
Old 02-28-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by carborane
what does not work, are the FOLOWING_ORDERDS. Does "break" in the while loop terminate the wole bashscrpit?
No, but - regardless of wether it works or not - i suggest not to use break anyway. It is a concealed GOTO and you shouldn't need it nor use it. Do it like this:

Code:
typeset -i flag=0
while [ $flag -eq 0 ] ; do
     if [ <some condition> ] ; then
          flag=1
     else
          sleep 30
     fi
done

And, by the way:
Code:
temp_id=&(squeue -u myname | sed -n "/${my_job_name}/ {s/[\ ].*//; p}")

what is this supposed to do? I can understand most of it, but what should:

Code:
variable=&(command)

do?

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works fine until I | more

Hello all, This beats me. I have a script that executes some commands and redirects their output to some text files that I will parse. The commands are along the lines of: dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin -outfile=/home/tools/qlog.txt q log f=d If I just run the script it works. If I execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skovian
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how come this script works?

#!/usr/bin/perl open (DATA, file.txt); @array = <DATA>; close (DATA); open (DATA, ">$file.txt"); for (@array) { s/text/replace text/; push(@contents,$_); } seek(DATA, 0, 0); print DATA (@contents); close(DATA); could someone please explain how this works. i've been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error: `mv olddir/ newdir/ ` never works on new version of bash?

Suppose you have a directory called "olddir" exists but no "newdir", you want to rename "olddir" to"newdir" In previous versions (at least in 2.05b.0) of bash, you can try mv olddir/ newdir/ OR mv olddir/ newdir But in new versions of bash, if you mv olddir/ newdir/ BASH panics: mv:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find .... -exec rm .... \; works, but gives an error

I am using find to get all the instances of a given directory name, then remove those directories with a -exec rm command. here is an example: mkdir -p foo/bar find foo -name bar -exec rm -rf {} \; foo will get deleted as I desired, however this pops out on standard error: find: foo/bar:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afifi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works with bash 3.0 but not 3.2.

Hello, So my knowledge of bash scripting is not that great and I have been trying to solve this problem on my own for awhile to no avail. Here's the error I get when running it with an OS that uses bash 3.2.x: testagain.sh: line 10: *-1: syntax error: operand expected (error token is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forkandspoon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't?

Hi everyone I'm new here so and I'm just starting to learn a bit of Solaris and I'm working on repairing 10 year old scripts for our system here at work. When I execute the commands at my prompt everything go's through smooth. I'm using gedit to edit my code because I'm still getting used to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82280zx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error in batch command but works one at a time

In the below perl executes if one file is processed perfect. However, when multiple files are processed in batch which is preferred I get the below error that I can not seem to fix it as the '' necessary for the command to execute, but seem to only work for one -arg option. Thank you :). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works, but I think it could be better and faster

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to bash scripting. I did some stuff with VB.net, Batch, and VBScripting in the past, but because I shifted over to Linux, I am learning to script in Bash at this moment. So bear with me if I seem to script like a newbie, that's just because I am ;-) OK, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornelvis
9 Replies
return(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 return(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
return - Return from a procedure SYNOPSIS
return ?-code code? ?-errorinfo info? ?-errorcode code? ?string? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Return immediately from the current procedure (or top-level command or source command), with string as the return value. If string is not specified then an empty string will be returned as result. EXCEPTIONAL RETURNS
In the usual case where the -code option isn't specified the procedure will return normally (its completion code will be TCL_OK). However, the -code option may be used to generate an exceptional return from the procedure. Code may have any of the following values: ok Normal return: same as if the option is omitted. error Error return: same as if the error command were used to terminate the procedure, except for handling of errorInfo and errorCode variables (see below). return The current procedure will return with a completion code of TCL_RETURN, so that the procedure that invoked it will return also. break The current procedure will return with a completion code of TCL_BREAK, which will terminate the innermost nested loop in the code that invoked the current procedure. continue The current procedure will return with a completion code of TCL_CONTINUE, which will terminate the current iteration of the innermost nested loop in the code that invoked the current procedure. value Value must be an integer; it will be returned as the completion code for the current procedure. The -code option is rarely used. It is provided so that procedures that implement new control structures can reflect exceptional condi- tions back to their callers. Two additional options, -errorinfo and -errorcode, may be used to provide additional information during error returns. These options are ignored unless code is error. The -errorinfo option specifies an initial stack trace for the errorInfo variable; if it is not specified then the stack trace left in errorInfo will include the call to the procedure and higher levels on the stack but it will not include any information about the context of the error within the procedure. Typically the info value is supplied from the value left in errorInfo after a catch command trapped an error within the procedure. If the -errorcode option is specified then code provides a value for the errorCode variable. If the option is not specified then errorCode will default to NONE. SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), error(n), proc(n) KEYWORDS
break, continue, error, procedure, return Tcl 7.0 return(n)