Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can ksh read records with blank fields Post 302936605 by Don Cragun on Thursday 26th of February 2015 04:08:56 PM
Old 02-26-2015
Scrutinizer,
I think the OP is saying the input file has lines with 4 fields using <tab> as a separator and some fields are empty. Unfortunately, when IFS is set to <tab> (or <space>) groups of <tab>s (or <space>s and <tab>s) are treated as a single field separator. I don't believe that this behavior for IFS set to a single <tab> character conforms to the standards, but since this seems to be existing practice in both bash and ksh, this may be considered a bug in the standard.

benalt,
If I understand what you're trying to do, the following should work with ksh (or any shell that performs the parameter expansions required by the POSIX standards):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while IFS='' read -r line
do	printf 'input:"%s"\n' "$line"
	d=${line##*	}
	line=${line%	*}
	c=${line##*	}
	line=${line%	*}
	b=${line##*	}
	line=${line%	*}
	a=${line##*	}
	printf 'a=%s,b=%s,c=%s,d=%s\n' "$a" "$b" "$c" "$d"
done < file.txt

(where the whitespace in % * and in * } is a single literal <tab> character in all of the above parameter expansions.

If file.txt contains:
Code:
a	b	all fields present	d
a		field 2 empty	d
	b	field 1 empty	d
		fields 1 & 2 empty	d
		fields 1, 2, & 4 empty	
a	b	c	d \
e	f	g	h

the output produced is:
Code:
input:"a	b	all fields present	d"
a=a,b=b,c=all fields present,d=d
input:"a		field 2 empty	d"
a=a,b=,c=field 2 empty,d=d
input:"	b	field 1 empty	d"
a=,b=b,c=field 1 empty,d=d
input:"		fields 1 & 2 empty	d"
a=,b=,c=fields 1 & 2 empty,d=d
input:"		fields 1, 2, & 4 empty	"
a=,b=,c=fields 1, 2, & 4 empty,d=
input:"a	b	c	d \"
a=a,b=b,c=c,d=d \
input:"e	f	g	h"
a=e,b=f,c=g,d=h

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk delete blank records

Hello I have a file like this... Name |Sex|Security-Number abx |F |33787728 cdr |M |823483993 derf |F | i would like to use awk to delete all records from the file that has a blank in the the 3 rd feild . the output should be like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xiamin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field separator if there are blank fields?

Hi, I have the following data in the format as shown (note: there are more than 1 blank spaces between each field and the spaces are not uniform, meaning there can be one blank space between field1 and field2 and 3 spaces between field3 and field4, in this example, # are the spaces in between... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep for blank records (space,tab,/n)?

I want to exclude (-v) blank records from a file before analysing it. I know I can use '^]$' for spaces and tabs but how do you look for lines that have nothing (/n or line feed) ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Programming to read and mail fields

I have a file with the following values: File name à a.log (bulk file with 100+ lines with the similar format) aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivacbz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces from fields

Hi Friends, I have large volume of data file as shown below. Beganing or end of each filed, there are some blank spaces. How do I remove those spaces? AAA AAA1 | BBB BB1 BB2 |CC CCCC DDDD DD | EEEEEEE EEEEEEEE | FFF FFFFFF FFFF GG GGGGGG |HH HH ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count blank fields in every line

Hello All, I am trying a one liner for finding the number of null columns in every line of my flat file. The format of my flat file is like this a|b|c|d||||e|f|g| a|b|c|d||||e|f|g| I want to count the number of fields delimited by "|" which are blank. In above case the count should be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select records and fields

Hi All I would like to modify a file like this: >antax gioq21 tris notes abcdefghij klmnopqrs >betax gion32 ter notes2 tuvzabcdef ahgskslsooin this: >tris abcdefghij klmnopqrs >ter tuvzabcdef ahgskslsoo So, I would like to remove the first two fields(and output field 3) in record... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find blank records in a file except for few columns

I have a file with the following format: X|High|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|Moderate|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|High|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Months X|Med|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Here there are ten columns but I need to print rows having blank records in any of the rows (except for 6th,8th and 9th... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print . in blank fields to prevent fields from shifting

The below code works great, kindly provided by @Don Cragun, the lines in bold print the current output. Since some of the fields printed can be blank some of the fields are shifted. I can not seem too add . to the blank fields like in the desired output. Basically, if there is nothing in the field... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies