Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy text in file to every line in another file Post 302935871 by RobertoRivera on Thursday 19th of February 2015 05:49:23 PM
Old 02-19-2015
Nothing so far, would it be simpler or easier to copy the first line of a file to the beginning of every line in the same file ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a string to a text file

I am using the following command to email a tex file as an attachment- cat mailtext.txt | elm -s "Subject" emailAddr where content of mailtext.txt is - "Body of email" This will attach foo.txt with the email. My problem is that the file foo.txt is ceated dynamically everytime with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxlxboy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ?

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ? ---------- Post updated at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:56 AM ---------- Got it : :1,30w file.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy text with ed to new file ?

Alright, so in ed i do a subsititution: ed file << 'HERE' s/.*h2.*>\(.*\)<.*/\1/p HERE This gives me my desired line: Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional! But how would i put this line in a temporary file ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy one file into another except some text

I have file input like- abc,"123",""123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123", abc,"123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123""123",abc etc Input file consists of 1000 records and i want to copy into final file except abc abc is at fixed position... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hoe to copy selected strings from file into another text file

Hi Experts, I just want to copy some selected strings from a a file into a new .txt file . I am using below command to find the data now want to copy the search results into another .txt file please help me . find /Path -exec grep -w "filename1|filename1|filename1|" '{}' \;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy some line and paste it after some line in same file

Hi, I want to know how I can copy line 6th to 10th and paste it after 17th line in same file. Thanks, Biplab (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biplab
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy text and create new file

I have a directory with ~500 files that look like below. I need to copy each unique entry up until the second_ only once and put a .txt in place of the _. I am not quite sure how but have the below as a startThank you :). cp -u file1.txt "$(cat output.txt)" file1.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
DYNARR(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						      DYNARR(3pub)

NAME
dynarr, dynarr_init, dynarr_resize, dynarr_free - simple dynamic arrays SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> void dynarr_init(struct dynarr *da, size_t elsize); int dynarr_resize(struct dynarr *da, size_t newsize); void dynarr_free(struct dynarr *da); DESCRIPTION
These functions make it easier to use dynamic arrays, i.e., arrays that are allocated with malloc(3) and resized with realloc(3). Below is a typical code fragment for implementing a dynamic array that is resized as more input is read. char *p, *line; size_t alloc, len; len = 0; alloc = 1024; if ((line = malloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); while (fgets(line + len, alloc-len, stdin) != NULL) { len = strlen(line); alloc += 1024; if ((p = realloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); alloc = p; } (The error handling is intentionally simplified.) Below is the above fragment with the dynarr(3). struct dynarr da; dynarr_init(&da); while (fgets((char *)da.data + da.used, da.alloc-da.len, stdin) != NULL) { da.used = strlen(da.data); if (dynarr_resize(&da, da.alloc + 1024) == -1) abort(); } The code is a bit simpler, and all the memory allocation details and most of the error checking code is hidden away. The dynamic array is represented by a struct dynarr: struct dynarr { void *data; size_t alloc, used; }; The interface to the dynamic allocation has intentionally been made unopaque. dynarr_init initializes a struct dynarr to be an empty array, dynarr_resize sets its size to be newsize, and dynarr_free frees the array (it will become an empty array again). RETURNS
dynarr_resize returns -1 if it failed, 0 if it succeeded. It does not change the array in any way if it failed. SEE ALSO
publib(3), malloc(3), realloc(3), strdup(3) AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual DYNARR(3pub)