Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - Propagation of error codes Post 302935824 by sea on Thursday 19th of February 2015 10:56:53 AM
Old 02-19-2015
PS:
In your main script, maybe you could try something like:
Code:
if MY_DATA=$(function_1 "param1" "param2" "param3")
then echo "yay : $MY_DATA"
else err=$?
     echo "no : $err"
fi

hth

EDIT:
Your "typos" include beeing on the wrong line?
gee use the real one or care more about the example representing properly your question with working example... like... many of your code looks almost like incomplete csh, rather than bash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. AIX

pSeries 610 error codes

I have been given some pSeries AIX servers to maintain. One of the servers wont come up after a shutdown and the following code is showing on the server: 10118401 How do I look up the error code? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ctrl-C signal propagation

Hello I have a master startup script (let's call it myScript) that displays a menu from which the user can start/stop several instances of a server. When I issue the start command for one of the servers from the menu and then exit myScript through the provided mechanism (enter "q" in this case),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EvilBoz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash awk codes to perl

Hi, I am interesting in writing the following bash codes into perl My script is simple take field 2 in /etc/passwd and put into an array #!/bin/bash PASSWD_FILE=/etc/passwd A=(`awk -F: ' { print $2 }' $PASSWD_FILE `) Can someone give me equivalent codes in perl ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phamp008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange SIGINT propagation between Parent/Child sh scripts

Good day, I am trying to add signal handling capabilities to some of my scripts. Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty with the manner in which signals are propagated between parent/child processes. Consider the following example: I have the following "parent" script: #!/usr/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danie.ludick
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'watch' not interpreting escape codes in bash script

Hi there, I'm fairly new to bash scripting and already having some troubles. I'm making a script that can print some series of strings in colors based in the information of a file, for simplicity let's say it only does: #!/bin/bash printf "\eWhen you execute this in the command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arashi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh use of error codes

I want to import the info to shell when the connection to remote host was closed . I have follwed by ssh errors but how to use variables in script. I am thinking out loud the shell script could look as follow: svnvaraible=$ERROR_SSH_CONNECTION_LOST if ; then break fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michal Janusz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script Exit Codes

Here is my daily stupid question: How can I tell a script to only execute if the other scripts exits successfully? So "script A" executes and it executes successfully (0),then "script B" will run or else "script A "executes and it exits unsucessfully (1) then "script B" will read return... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm error codes and logging

Afternoon ladies and gents, I am trying to create a simple script to remove a certain file from a user's network profile location. The removal works ok, but in the interest of overkill I would like to add a simple error detection (such as file doesn't exist or permission denied) Currently, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hateborne
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error Codes for VCS

Do we have common VCS error codes for all platforms. eg. 10195 Agent(s) for group %s failed on system %s for all Linux,Solaris and windows ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
1 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux