Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode Post 302934858 by drl on Wednesday 11th of February 2015 12:19:05 PM
Old 02-11-2015
Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshilalit2004
I tried dd but it is not converting the file correctly as it has few packed decimal columns in it..
I tried iconv and it says "iconv: conversion from EBCDIC unsupported" and recoded says "No manual entry for recode."....
If you wish to do more work yourself, see perl code at https://metacpan.org/pod/distributio...ert/IBM390.pod :
Quote:
Convert::IBM390 supplies various functions that you may find useful when working with IBM System/3[679]0 data. No functions are exported automatically; you must ask for the ones you want. "use ... qw(:all)" exports all functions.

By the way, this module is called "IBM390" because it will deal with data from any mainframe operating system. Nothing about it is specific to z/OS, or z/VM, z/VSE, i5/OS, z/TPF....

When transmitting EBCDIC data to your Perl environment via FTP, be sure to use the "binary" option. This will leave the data unconverted so that the module recognizes it. By default, FTP will translate the data to ASCII; this will convert the character fields correctly but garble other formats, such as packed-decimal and binary.
which then allows:
Quote:
unpackeb TEMPLATE RECORD
This function is much like Perl's built-in "unpack". It takes an EBCDIC record (structure) and unpacks it into a list of values. If called in scalar context, it will return only the first unpacked value. The TEMPLATE is patterned after Perl's unpack template but allows fewer options. The following characters are allowed in the template:

c or C (1) Character string without translation
e (1) EBCDIC string to be translated into ASCII; preserve
trailing nulls and spaces
E (1) EBCDIC string to be translated into ASCII; strip
trailing nulls and spaces
i (2) Signed integer (S/390 fullword)
I (2) Unsigned integer (4 bytes)
p (1) Packed-decimal field
Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

compressed file was ftpied in ascii mode needs recovery

I am unbale to uncompress a file which was compress then moved to another pc in ascii mode instead of binary mode. Is there any way to recover it. Please help us. While uncompress it is giving corrupt input. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj2610
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP in ASCII mode

Hi Copying a file from Unix (Solaris) to a windows server using sftp. File arrives with carriage returns and line feeds screwed (binary file transfer). Is there a way to get these to copy properly without having to edit or messa about with the file on the windows side. I know with FTP you can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy_mega
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus, I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode? Any help would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Solaris

"lpr.error] Warning: Received SIGPIPE" continuously appearing in logs

On a Solaris 8 print server we're continuously (every 2 minutes or so) getting these messages in the logs: printd: Warning: Received SIGPIPE; continuing I've applied this patch and restarted the printd daemon, but it doesn't help: #109320-22: SunOS 5.8: lp patch Does anyone have any idea what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing embedded linefeeds

Greetings all, i have csv file with pipe separated columns SSN|NAME|ADDRESS|FILLER 123|abc|myaddress|xxx 234|BBB|my add ress broken up|yyy In the example above, the second record is broken into multiple lines. I need to keep going until I find a "|" since this issue is with the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stayalive
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing linefeeds between formfeeds in reports

I need to take a report text file that is output from vendor software and there are some pages which have less then the normal amount of lines. I need to add these missing line feeds as there is a merge program that reads this file in fixed character and line mode template to output the final PDF... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnygren
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascii Mode appending extra records to csv file

I am relatively new to this forum and Unix scripting. ksh script: part 1 :will call a PL\SQL program will create 3 CSV file at the unix directory. part 2 : will sftp the files to the EFT server. Once the EFT server receives these file , it will transfer them to a shared windows folders. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developerpa
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)