Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh check for non printable characters in a string Post 302934827 by dips_ag on Wednesday 11th of February 2015 07:22:52 AM
Old 02-11-2015
Hi,

I'll be not able to convert it to hex file.

But in a simplest manner, can I check for only alphanumeric characters plus few punctuations which I know will get passed?

Code:
if [ "${TEXT#*[![:alnum:]][.,;:'"/\()-_+=~@&*]}" = "$TEXT" ];then echo 'no non-printables found';else echo 'non-printable found';fi

This is clearly not working. Can you please help me?
-dips

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to search files for non-printable characters?

I need to check ftp'd incoming files for characters that are not alphanumeric,<tab>, <cr>, or <lf> characters. Each file would have 10-20,000 line with up to 3,000 characters per line. Should I use awk, sed, or grep and what would the command look like to do such a search? Thanks much to anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvander
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep non printable characters

Sometimes obvious things... are not so obvious. I always thought that it was possible to grep non printable characters but not with my GNU grep (5.2.1) version. printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\t' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x09' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x{09}' None of them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Non-printable characters

I have been using OKI data Microline printers; models 590 and 591 to print a bar code using the following escape sequence: \E^PA^H^C00^D^C^A^A^A\E^PB^H The escape sequence is stored in a unix file which is edited using vi. Now, we are considering Microline printer model 395C and the bar code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joy Conner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether there is a non printable character in the unix variables

cp $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile If i want to check whether there is a non printable character in the variables $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile how it can be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Non-printable characters in unix file

Hi, We have a non printable character "®" in our file , we want to remove this character, we tried tr -dc '' < oldfile> newfile but this command is removing all new line entries along with the non printable character and all the records are coming in one line(it is changing the format of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep control/non printable characters

Unable to grep: Able to grep: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting records with non-printable characters

Hi, I have a huge file (50 Mil rows) which has certain non-printable ASCII characters in it. I am cleaning the file by deleting those characters using the following command - tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' < unclean_file > clean_file Please note that I am excluding the following - tab,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
6 Replies
ALTER TEXT SEARCH 
DICTIONARY(7) SQL Commands ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY(7) NAME
ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY - change the definition of a text search dictionary SYNOPSIS
ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY name ( option [ = value ] [, ... ] ) ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY name RENAME TO newname ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY name OWNER TO newowner DESCRIPTION
ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY changes the definition of a text search dictionary. You can change the dictionary's template-specific options, or change the dictionary's name or owner. You must be the owner of the dictionary to use ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY. PARAMETERS
name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing text search dictionary. option The name of a template-specific option to be set for this dictionary. value The new value to use for a template-specific option. If the equal sign and value are omitted, then any previous setting for the option is removed from the dictionary, allowing the default to be used. newname The new name of the text search dictionary. newowner The new owner of the text search dictionary. Template-specific options can appear in any order. EXAMPLES
The following example command changes the stopword list for a Snowball-based dictionary. Other parameters remain unchanged. ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY my_dict ( StopWords = newrussian ); The following example command changes the language option to dutch, and removes the stopword option entirely. ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY my_dict ( language = dutch, StopWords ); The following example command ``updates'' the dictionary's definition without actually changing anything. ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY my_dict ( dummy ); (The reason this works is that the option removal code doesn't complain if there is no such option.) This trick is useful when changing configuration files for the dictionary: the ALTER will force existing database sessions to re-read the configuration files, which otherwise they would never do if they had read them earlier. COMPATIBILITY
There is no ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY [create_text_search_dictionary(7)], DROP TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY [drop_text_search_dictionary(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY(7)