Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh check for non printable characters in a string Post 302934827 by dips_ag on Wednesday 11th of February 2015 07:22:52 AM
Old 02-11-2015
Hi,

I'll be not able to convert it to hex file.

But in a simplest manner, can I check for only alphanumeric characters plus few punctuations which I know will get passed?

Code:
if [ "${TEXT#*[![:alnum:]][.,;:'"/\()-_+=~@&*]}" = "$TEXT" ];then echo 'no non-printables found';else echo 'non-printable found';fi

This is clearly not working. Can you please help me?
-dips

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to search files for non-printable characters?

I need to check ftp'd incoming files for characters that are not alphanumeric,<tab>, <cr>, or <lf> characters. Each file would have 10-20,000 line with up to 3,000 characters per line. Should I use awk, sed, or grep and what would the command look like to do such a search? Thanks much to anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvander
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep non printable characters

Sometimes obvious things... are not so obvious. I always thought that it was possible to grep non printable characters but not with my GNU grep (5.2.1) version. printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\t' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x09' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x{09}' None of them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Non-printable characters

I have been using OKI data Microline printers; models 590 and 591 to print a bar code using the following escape sequence: \E^PA^H^C00^D^C^A^A^A\E^PB^H The escape sequence is stored in a unix file which is edited using vi. Now, we are considering Microline printer model 395C and the bar code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joy Conner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether there is a non printable character in the unix variables

cp $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile If i want to check whether there is a non printable character in the variables $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile how it can be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Non-printable characters in unix file

Hi, We have a non printable character "®" in our file , we want to remove this character, we tried tr -dc '' < oldfile> newfile but this command is removing all new line entries along with the non printable character and all the records are coming in one line(it is changing the format of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep control/non printable characters

Unable to grep: Able to grep: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting records with non-printable characters

Hi, I have a huge file (50 Mil rows) which has certain non-printable ASCII characters in it. I am cleaning the file by deleting those characters using the following command - tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' < unclean_file > clean_file Please note that I am excluding the following - tab,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
6 Replies
MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				    MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)

NAME
MIME::QuotedPrint - Encoding and decoding of quoted-printable strings SYNOPSIS
use MIME::QuotedPrint; $encoded = encode_qp($decoded); $decoded = decode_qp($encoded); DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions to encode and decode strings into and from the quoted-printable encoding specified in RFC 2045 - MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions). The quoted-printable encoding is intended to represent data that largely consists of bytes that correspond to printable characters in the ASCII character set. Each non-printable character (as defined by English Americans) is represented by a triplet consisting of the character "=" followed by two hexadecimal digits. The following functions are provided: encode_qp( $str) encode_qp( $str, $eol) encode_qp( $str, $eol, $binmode ) This function returns an encoded version of the string ($str) given as argument. The second argument ($eol) is the line-ending sequence to use. It is optional and defaults to " ". Every occurrence of " " is replaced with this string, and it is also used for additional "soft line breaks" to ensure that no line end up longer than 76 characters. Pass it as "1512" to produce data suitable for external consumption. The string " " produces the same result on many platforms, but not all. The third argument ($binmode) will select binary mode if passed as a TRUE value. In binary mode " " will be encoded in the same way as any other non-printable character. This ensures that a decoder will end up with exactly the same string whatever line ending sequence it uses. In general it is preferable to use the base64 encoding for binary data; see MIME::Base64. An $eol of "" (the empty string) is special. In this case, no "soft line breaks" are introduced and binary mode is effectively enabled so that any " " in the original data is encoded as well. decode_qp( $str ) This function returns the plain text version of the string given as argument. The lines of the result are " " terminated, even if the $str argument contains " " terminated lines. If you prefer not to import these routines into your namespace, you can call them as: use MIME::QuotedPrint (); $encoded = MIME::QuotedPrint::encode($decoded); $decoded = MIME::QuotedPrint::decode($encoded); Perl v5.8 and better allow extended Unicode characters in strings. Such strings cannot be encoded directly, as the quoted-printable encoding is only defined for single-byte characters. The solution is to use the Encode module to select the byte encoding you want. For example: use MIME::QuotedPrint qw(encode_qp); use Encode qw(encode); $encoded = encode_qp(encode("UTF-8", "x{FFFF} ")); print $encoded; COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1995-1997,2002-2004 Gisle Aas. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
MIME::Base64 perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)