Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Capture PRSTAT
Operating Systems Solaris Capture PRSTAT Post 302934442 by tharmendran on Saturday 7th of February 2015 03:39:23 AM
Old 02-07-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
One other point

prstat with no interval and count runs until you type ctrl/c or something else stops the process.

Code:
prstat 5 5

runs for 25 seconds.

If you want to "log" data from a entire day, you may want to use other tools. Consider enabling sar as a starting point.

IMO, a single snapshot of prstat does not give you much to go on. You have to proceed on to other tools, like iostat, fsstat, vmstat, or maybe dtrace. sar gets you further down the road to solving performance problems right from the beginning. And with sar you have a sort of running history to see episodic symptoms.
Hi Jim Mcnamara,
thanks for your reply. Can you help to elaborate on how to run SAR to troubleshoot performance issue?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat problem

This will be a smaple output for my prstat -t NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 43 root 249M 62M 1.5% 33:50:01 0.1% 12 oadmin 1396M 862M 22% 0:06:49 0.1% 2 acne 3960K 3176K 0.1% 0:00:00 0.0% 4 essagent 10M 7456K 0.2% 0:00:00 0.0%... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
6 Replies

3. Solaris

prstat O/P

Good Evening everyone, I am confused about prstat O/P as it shows memory values which are different from actual value.Below is the O/P of prstat command and swap commands. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 48 root 2113M 1590M 1.2% 45:09.39 32% 31 daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat output in GB

Hi, Is there any way by which the unit of size and rss will be only GB while I am running the prstat command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

5. Solaris

prstat output

Can someone please explain me the "TIME" field of the output of "prstat -p<pid>" command ? The man page says it is "The cumulative execution time for the process". Does it mean how many hrs:min:sec the process is running ? If so then I'm not getting the desired output. Can someone pls help me in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senabhi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat

hi all, am writing a ksh script on solaris 9 to get the number of threads taken by a process. am using the prstat -p command to do this. output i get is : :"/export/home/user" > prstat -p 25528 | cut -f2 -d/ NLWP 203 Total: 1 processes, 203 lwps, load averages: 2.58, 3.24, 3.62... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

7. Solaris

prstat

hi all, was trying to figure out how busy my app was by looking at the performance of the app server. did a 'prstat -s rss' command to find the app servers using most memory. Found a command 'prstat -m' which is meant to show more details on each pid but the output of this command... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat output

hi all, have a ksh script where i am doing a prstat -m -u osuser 1 1 >> $FILE_NAME but for some reason it only writes 15 lines wheres when i run the same command manually from command prompt it prints out 60 lines. why is it not writing the full 60 lines to the file ?? ta. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Understanding prstat

Hello We have a SPARC box running Solaris 10. We have 32 GB of physical memory, 32 GB of swap. Now i want to monitor memory usage for performance tuning. The box is running Sybase database. When I type prstat i get the following PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Capture PRSTAT based on CPU usage percentage

Hi, Recently i have write a simple script to capture CPU high usage based on prstat but i found out that it did capture correctly. I need to capture the rows that contains CPU usage more than 3%. Below line which i thought will capture CPU usage based CPU column in prstat(9th parameter) which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
3 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [ t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [ t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/sys- tem/sar:default service writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)