Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with sed replace script to include spaces Post 302934425 by bakunin on Friday 6th of February 2015 07:37:30 PM
Old 02-06-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreppa
Bakunin, that script throws a bunch of errors:
Sorry, copied that off from the terminal without double-checking: "text_old" should be "text_new" of course, and "local" is an alias in my environment - use "typeset" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreppa
Code:
/path/to/translate.sh: line 2: set: lastpipe: invalid option name

This, i am afraid, i can do nothing about: as i told you only relatively recent bash-versions know this option, yours might be not recent enough. As i explained, i used it only to avoid the ugly bottom-steered while-loop, which you seem to have to use in this case.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include PDF file with spaces

I am able to include a pdf file as an attachment in an email using the following: echo "" > reports elm -s "RW100 PDF Reports" me@myemail.com < reports However, if I have a filename that contains some spaces, I'm not so lucky. I've tried: echo "" > reports but no luck. I keep getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace spaces between quotes with a variable

I have lines with: elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?edificationtube.com$|www.edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.net edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.com edificationtube.net") { elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?collegecontender.com$|www.collegecontender.com collegecontenders.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include white spaces while using CUT command

Hi I tried to extract 19 characters (default) enclosed with in tag from a file using cut command. If the characters comprises of double space, the cut command gives the output with a single spacing. file 1 <name>Kumar Rajasekaran</name> cut -c7-26 "file1" the out put i received is ... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
48 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Use Sed Command to replace white spaces with comma from between two fields - Mayank

SHELL SCRIPT Hi I have a file in the following format Mayank Sushant Dheeraj Kunal ARUN Samir How can i replace the white space in between and replace them with a comma?? The resultant output should be Mayank,Sushant Dheeraj,Kunal ARUN,Samir i tried using sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayanksargoch
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

making find/sed to include directory names with spaces

how can i make find/sed to include directory names with spaces the command is like this for i in `find wp-content/themes -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -iE 'e'`;do sed -i -e 's/word1/word2/gI' "$i";done but it skips one directory names with spaces sed: can't read ./Nova: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace the matching pattern with equal number of spaces

Hi I have written a shell script which used sed code below sed -i 's/'"$Pattern"'/ /g' $FileName I want to count the length of Pattern and replace it with equal number of spaces in the FileName. I have used $(#pattern) to get the length but could not understand how to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it?

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it. for example there is a file a.txt. $more a.txt create view as (select from ......... .......... ( select .... ( select ...... .. select only no ((( number ( select end (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace one space and leave other spaces untouched

Hi Friends, I looked up online, but couldn't figure out a proper solution. I have an input file where the columns are separated by multiple spaces and the column content is separated by single space. For example, Chr1 hello world unix is fun In the above example, chr1 is first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)