Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple beginner's problems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple beginner's problems Post 302934158 by Don Cragun on Thursday 5th of February 2015 03:59:04 AM
Old 02-05-2015
I used a translation table because the input:
Code:
0123456789abcdABCD 	 10.9

should produce the output:
Code:
ABCDEFGHIJabcdABCD  10.9

instead of the output:
Code:
ABCDEFGHIJAAAAAAAA  10.9

If we knew that the first field on each line only contains digits (no punctuation and no alphabetic characters), I would do what you did. But that wasn't specified in the problem statement and the tr command used by the submitter more closely matches what I did with the translation table.

Of course, we're both doing the wrong thing (compared to the submitter's script) if some lines have more or less than 2 fields per line. The specification provided leaves a lot unsaid. So, we all make different assumptions about what the real requirements are...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris x86 - multiple problems

Recently installed a custom PC with Solaris 10 u4, kernelpatch 127112-10. I was going to use this box as a NAT router using ipf. ipf however caused the box to panic multiple times. This in turn lead to a couple other issues that I would like some input of. - None of the panic's i've... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ba72
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems Grepping within multiple Quotes

Hello, I have a block of code (XML) that I would like to grep for certain information. The basic format of the XML is the following repeated a few hundred times, each time with a unique ID: <Identifier ID="A" NAME="John Doe" AGE="32 Years" FAMILY="4" SEX="MALE"></Identfier> I would like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Surfing the Internet problems with multiple browsers

Could anyone explain why I am having trouble surfing the internet with both firefox and konqueror? Chromium seems to be the only browser that will work. I tried to create a new profile with firefox and that didn't work either. I can ping things just fine, I can download stuff with wget, I can ssh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Multiple Pattern String Matching

I am facing a problem and I would be grateful if you can help me :wall: I have a list of words like And I have a datafile like the box of the box of tissues out of of tissues out of the book, the the book, the pen and the the pen and the I want to find Patterns of “x.*x” where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems setting or exporting variable when using multiple commands from same line.

I am experimenting with some scripting as a way to learn more about it. I have a simple script that calls two other scripts. Each script echos some stuff to prove it ran and then sets a simple variable and exports it. I cannot get one of the variables to display back in the main calling script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottrif
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Help me please i am beginner

i have windows 8 host on Dell Laptop vmware 9 redhat 7.2 iso downloaded through redhat official site after installation on vm it only boots into text dont show graphics Please guide:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)