Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Memory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Memory Post 302932896 by erin00 on Monday 26th of January 2015 07:10:28 AM
Old 01-26-2015
UNIX Memory

what is the difference between cached and buffer memory?

can i use either buffer or cached memory if i want to run an application?

Last edited by erin00; 01-26-2015 at 08:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix system memory

Can you please tell me how to find out System Memory (RAM) for a AIX unix server? The command prtconf will do for Solaris but I don't know for AIX Unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilkumar
1 Replies

2. Programming

memory increasing on UNIX

hi, i'm writing a program that is running always... but, i have a problem that memory is increasing.. i want to know whether does stack size inscease or not, when program is running.. i don't know what is the cause stack or heap... i need some help.. :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netfer
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Obtain Memory on HP UNIX

Hi, Does anyone know an easy way of getting the memory usage on a UNIX box? I basically want to find the total % available/in use. Running vmstat gives me 'avm' and 'free' but come in bytes and not percents. Didn't see a switch in sar that just gave me the memory stats similar to Sun's -r... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonesin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix memory management

i am looking for the books or web-sites which explains the unix memory management in detail. do you know any useful material? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

UNIX memory problems

I don't know if this is better suited for the application section, but here goes. We are currently running HP-UX 11 as our database server. The database is Progress version 9.1C. As of late, some of our batch processes that run on the UNIX db server are erroring out because of what appear to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddiej
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to find the memory in HP-Unix?

Hi, I have a HP-Unix server, version B.11.23. Can someone tell me how to find out the physical memory & virtual memory (swap) in my server? & what is Page fault? & is there any limitation for page fault? Thank you. Your help is appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory utilization in HP unix

Hi, I am creating monitoring scripts in HP unix for that i need CPU utilization and memory utilization in HP unix. for CPU utilization i am using TOP command for Memory utilizaion i am not able to use glance command in scripts. means i am not able to redirect and stop. apart from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
1 Replies

8. Programming

What Unix do with unused shared memory?

Hello, When creating shared memory in C, should be remove shared memory with shmctl function when don't need it. If it didn't remove, occupied shared memory stay and remain. If we create shared memory repeatedly without removing unusable shared memory, /dev/shm will full. Does Unix or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pronetin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extend memory in UNIX?

Hi friends iam new to unix. how to extend memory in UNIx. what are the possible scenarios to increase memory. I just noticed we have swap memory also but when and how to use it. and what is the correct way to increase RAM. please provide information or some useful commands. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidesh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory in UNIX

So, I would ask you a piece of advice about which books or titles could give me comprehensive information about virtual memory in UNIX. Especially, I would found out that virtual address translation corresponds structures of kernel! Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fadedfate
2 Replies
FREE(1) 							   User Commands							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system SYNOPSIS
free [options] DESCRIPTION
free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in the system, as well as the buffers and caches used by the ker- nel. The information is gathered by parsing /proc/meminfo. The displayed columns are: total Total installed memory (MemTotal and SwapTotal in /proc/meminfo) used Used memory (calculated as total - free) free Unused memory (MemFree and SwapFree in /proc/meminfo) shared Memory used (mostly) by tmpfs (Shmem in /proc/meminfo, available on kernels 2.6.32, displayed as zero if not available) buffers Memory used by kernel buffers (Buffers in /proc/meminfo) cached Memory used by the page cache (calculated as Cached - Shmem in /proc/meminfo - the Cached value is actually the sum of page cache and tmpfs memory) OPTIONS
-b, --bytes Display the amount of memory in bytes. -k, --kilo Display the amount of memory in kilobytes. This is the default. -m, --mega Display the amount of memory in megabytes. -g, --giga Display the amount of memory in gigabytes. --tera Display the amount of memory in terabytes. -h, --human Show all output fields automatically scaled to shortest three digit unit and display the units of print out. Following units are used. B = bytes K = kilos M = megas G = gigas T = teras If unit is missing, and you have petabyte of RAM or swap, the number is in terabytes and columns might not be aligned with header. -c, --count count Display the result count times. Requires the -s option. -l, --lohi Show detailed low and high memory statistics. -o, --old Display the output in old format, the only difference being this option will disable the display of the "buffer adjusted" line. -s, --seconds seconds Continuously display the result delay seconds apart. You may actually specify any floating point number for delay, usleep(3) is used for microsecond resolution delay times. --si Use power of 1000 not 1024. -t, --total Display a line showing the column totals. --help Print help. -V, --version Display version information. FILES
/proc/meminfo memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), slabtop(1), top(1), vmstat(8). AUTHORS
Written by Brian Edmonds. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng September 2011 FREE(1)