Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - Need to echo for loop output to one line Post 302932448 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of January 2015 03:17:48 PM
Old 01-21-2015
Most importantly, it doesn't do quite exactly what you think it does -- splitting across whitespace, not lines. If you try to handle data any more complex than that, or there happens to be anything you didn't expect in it, you'll be in for a big surprise.

It also tends to break down a lot. There's a limit to how much you can cram in one statement, surprisingly small on some systems.

Also, it's inefficient because it crams it all into one statement. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

See useless use of cat, useless use of backticks, and particularly dangerous backticks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to place the output of two different echo statements on one line

Hello there, I wrote a shell script to modify the code for some of our clients in our client database. Before starting the data modification the program performs a few checks. When a check is being performed, it should be shown on the screen of the user running the program, the result of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoBa
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of both the echo statement in one line

I have script like echo -n FINISHED FEXP: ${TABLE2EXP} echo $STATUS I want the output of both the echo statement in one line How can i do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo and a command's output on the same line

Hello, I'm writing some bash scripts and I'm trying to get an echo command and the output of another command to display on the same line. For example: I want to run echo "Operating System: " unameand have it displayed as Operating System: Darwin Thanks for your help! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: codyhazelwood
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo two command output in the same line

Hi, I try to write script and echo two command at the same line . echo "A" echo "B" How can I pipe above two command at the same line in text file . So, in the output text file , you can see below ??? A B not A B Any sugggestion ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to loop line in a file and add info or do echo

I have a record.txt it will update weekly, and it could be 2 lines or more ... it just echo each line to the script san jose,23.34% tampa,2.15% dallas,30.20% seattle,44.29% Unknown,16.72% How do i write a shell script to give me a test.pl or bash file which contain #!/home/perl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot pass a echo output to a variable in bash

Hi, I have a problem with passing a echo output into a variable in bash file='1990.tar' NAME='echo $file | cut -d '.' -f1'; echo $NAME the result is echo $file | cut -d . -f1 however with this one,#!/bin/bash file='1990.tar' echo $file | cut -d '.' -f1 the result is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1988PF
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash, echo in loop for

Hi, I am trying to make a script to manage log. I want to write the name of the .gz I moved and the date : for i in `ls $replog/*.gz` do echo " $i " `echo $i date +%d:%m:%Y` `echo $datee `>> $replog/mrnet.log mv $i /var/log/vieux-logs done I need to echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabless
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep echo awk print all output on one line

Hello, I've been trying to find the answer to this with Google and trying to browse the forums, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. If this has already been answered, please link me to the thread as I can't find it. I've been asked to write a script that pulls a list of our CPE... (51 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwalker
51 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo print on same line while loop using variable

Currently using below script but echo it print the output in two line. Input file all-vm-final-2.txt CEALA08893 SDDC_SCUN DS_SIO_Workload_SAPUI_UAT_01 4 CEALA09546 SDDC_SCUN DS-SIO-PD5_Workload_UAT_SP1_Flash_07 4 CEALA09702 SDDC_SCUN DS-VSAN-RMP-WORKLOAD01 4 DEALA08762 SDDC_LDC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Echo For ... Loop output into a file

Hi, All: I have one for ... loop code to generate a list of rename statement. However, echo the loop output on screen is OK. But store the echo output into a file is not working. So come here to seek help. My basic code is: ! /bin/ksh echo > DAS_VetFed.txt dir=/mydirectory cd $dir files=`ls... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
ssh-keysign(1M)                                                                                                                    ssh-keysign(1M)

NAME
ssh-keysign - ssh helper program for host-based authentication SYNOPSIS
ssh-keysign ssh-keysign is used by ssh(1) to access the local host keys and generate the digital signature required during host-based authentication with SSH protocol version 2. This signature is of data that includes, among other items, the name of the client host and the name of the client user. ssh-keysign is disabled by default and can be enabled only in the global client configuration file /etc/ssh/ssh_config by setting Host- basedAuthentication to yes. ssh-keysign is not intended to be invoked by the user, but from ssh. See ssh(1) and sshd(1M) for more information about host-based authen- tication. /etc/ssh/ssh_config Controls whether ssh-keysign is enabled. /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key These files contain the private parts of the host keys used to generate the digital signature. They should be owned by root, readable only by root, and not accessible to others. Because they are readable only by root, ssh-keysign must be set-uid root if host-based authentication is used. ssh-keysign will not sign host-based authentication data under the following conditions: o If the HostbasedAuthentication client configuration parameter is not set to yes in /etc/ssh/ssh_config. This setting cannot be overri- den in users' ~/.ssh/ssh_config files. o If the client hostname and username in /etc/ssh/ssh_config do not match the canonical hostname of the client where ssh-keysign is invoked and the name of the user invoking ssh-keysign. In spite of ssh-keysign's restrictions on the contents of the host-based authentication data, there remains the ability of users to use it as an avenue for obtaining the client's private host keys. For this reason host-based authentication is turned off by default. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsshu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ssh(1), sshd(1M), ssh_config(4), attributes(5) AUTHORS
Markus Friedl, markus@openbsd.org HISTORY
ssh-keysign first appeared in Ox 3.2. 9 Jun 2004 ssh-keysign(1M)