Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to know NIM name from NIM client? Post 302932350 by thisissouvik on Wednesday 21st of January 2015 04:18:18 AM
Old 01-21-2015
IBM How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's,

I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client?

All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks!

-- Souvik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

2. AIX

NIM client mksysb restore

Can a NIM client mksysb restore be performed via NIM (smitty nim) without the NIM client machine having the NIM server's IP and hostname in its /etc/hosts file? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
10 Replies

3. AIX

problem adding NIM client

Hello All, While trying to add NIM client to the NIM environment from NIM client machine, I get the following error: 1800-109 There are currently no additional SMIT screen entries available for this item. This may require installation of additional software before it can be accessed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

4. AIX

backup NIM client

Hello everyone I would like to hear your opinions about this procedure to backup a client to my nim master 1.-I got a cron that make a mksysb from x machine 2.-This mksysb I send by ftp to my nim master. 3.-When I got it in the nim master machine. I create a mksysb resource from this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. AIX

aix-configure nim client

:b:Hi... I need help to configure nim client on nim server.. can i define aix 5.3.4.0 on aix 5.3.7.0 nim server.. while i m configuring nim client on nim server its getting msg that images not same.. i need to confirm that both version should be same or not.. Thanks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
5 Replies

7. AIX

filesets nim client

Hello everyone I was looking for the filesets to install a nim client on a linux box. (red hat 5 for power) I have the nim master on aix box and I have different nim client with aix. I download some filesets fron aix cd to linux box, but Im still hang up. Some one know where I can find... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

9. AIX

Nim client with different subnet to Master

Iam attempting to add a client to NIM however the new client has a different subnet than master 10... & 193... , I've established from redbooks that it should be possible but can't find anything that states how? Does anyone use nim in this way? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
5 Replies

10. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies
NONAMED(8)						      System Manager's Manual							NONAMED(8)

NAME
nonamed - not a name daemon, but acts like one SYNOPSIS
nonamed [-d[level]] [-p port] [-n address[/port]] DESCRIPTION
Nonamed is not an Internet name daemon. When started it immediately tries to find a real name daemon on the local network. If it finds one then it will relay any DNS queries to that name daemon. If it can't find one then it will do its best to answer simple queries using the /etc/hosts table for name to address translation. On startup nonamed broadcasts up to five" simple UDP queries on the local network. This is a somewhat nasty thing to do, because it makes all name servers on the net spring into action to answer the request. The first name server to answer is used by nonamed to answer the queries of its clients. The broadcast search is repeated after an hour to give another name server a chance to be abused. (It is quite normal for a host to use a remote name server. The broadcasts are a bit unfriendly, but they only happen once an hour.) If a real name server is found then nonamed enters "relay mode", passing all queries on. In relay mode the daemon cannot be distinguished from a real DNS name daemon. Nonamed accepts both UDP and TCP queries under Minix-vmd. Under standard Minix only UDP queries are accepted. 256" relayed UDP queries can be outstanding before it forgets where the first one came from. In answer mode nonamed can answer simple DNS queries to translate a host name to an IP address, or an IP address to a host name. Suppose /etc/hosts looks like this: 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.9.200.1 darask.home.cs.vu.nl 192.9.200.2 burask.home.cs.vu.nl Then queries for the host names listed can be answered with the IP addresses to the left of them. If the name can't be found then it is retried with the domain name stripped of, this is because "localhost" is looked up as "localhost.home.cs.vu.nl" in the above example. Reverse lookups are answered with the first hostname on the line with the IP address. UDP queries are immediately answered on startup if the answer can be found in the hosts file. Failure answers, and answers to TCP queries are delayed until it decides that there are no real name servers out there. Nonamed employs several timeouts for efficient operation: If five" broadcasts, two seconds" apart fail to produce a name server on startup then it decides that there are no real name servers around. After 1 hour" it will again look for a name server. (We don't want to hog the same one indefinitely.) If no UDP reply is seen in .ds m1 than a simple probe is sent the name server. If that doesn't provoke an answer in two seconds" then it will look for a new name server. A failing TCP connection will also invoke a search, the TCP connection is then made to the new name server. A client using UDP will retry eventually, a client using TCP will notice nothing but a short delay. The daemon drops back into answer mode if the search fails and it has a hosts file with a "localhost" entry. It waits five minutes" for any action on a TCP stream before the connection is aborted. In answer mode it will generate data with a TTL (time to live) of 1 hour". OPTIONS
The options are only useful when debugging nonamed, although it can be very instructive to watch DNS queries being done. -d[level] Set debugging level to level (a single digit, by default 1.) Debug mode 1 makes nonamed decode and display the DNS queries and replies that it receives, sends and relays. The decoding only handles the common cases. In debug mode 2 it prints tracing information about the internal jobs it executes. In debug mode 3 it core dumps when an error causes it to exit. The debugging level may also be increased by 1 at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off (set to 0) with SIGUSR2. [-p port] Port to use instead of the normal domain port. [-n address[/port]] Use this IP address and port to find a real name server. It can be used to make nonamed relay to another nonamed. (They do not listen to broadcasts, of course.) You can run two daemons on one machine if you choose a new port number for one of them. You can force nonamed out of relay mode by sending it a hangup signal. FILES
/etc/hosts Hosts to address translation table when in answer mode. SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(3), hosts(5), set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), irdpd(8), rarpd(8). NOTES
You can specify a remote name server in /etc/resolv.conf to circumvent nonamed. But then you lose its talent for automatically finding new name servers when the remote name server becomes unreachable. Don't add a "localhost" entry to the hosts file if there are remote name servers. It makes nonamed drop back in answer mode on a flaky network. BUGS
If you can get a remote nonamed to listen to your name server then you can make it believe anything you want to. You need access to a machine on the same subnet of course. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) NONAMED(8)