Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting group of records and loading last record Post 302932338 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 20th of January 2015 11:30:02 PM
Old 01-21-2015
How about this awk + sort solution

Code:
awk '
{ k=substr($0,1,3)
  v=substr($0,length-8)

if(a[k]<v) {
     a[k]=v
     l[k]=$0
  }
}
END { for(k in a) print l[k] }' infile | sort

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing records from one record

Hi, I got a file which is one huge record. I know each record should be 550 bytes long. How do I parse out the records from the one huge record. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the records in the Flat file

Hi all, I am using this command "sort -d -u -k1 IMSTEST.74E -o tmp.txt" to the records in the flat. Can any tell me how to sort the file except first line in the file For ex: i/p First line: DXYZ Second line : jumy third : cmhk fourth : andy Output should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_barker
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help in sorting record

dn: uid=peter@exmaple.com,ou=example-com,ou=mail,dc=example,dc=to cn: Peter sn: Norton displayName: Peter Norton dn: uid=ras@exmaple.com,ou=example-com,ou=mail,dc=example,dc=to cn: Ras sn: Kam displayName: Ras Kam i have a text file with 300 entries with multiple ldap entries... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting record

Hi all, Can any one help whether we can able to sort a record with delimiter plz ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the records for a file

hi, Please suggest me how to do this logic say i am dynamically taking a file name into the script. when ever a file name it should sort the all the records based on the first character in every line except the heading line and ending line. for example file1 heading... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angel12345
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting within a record using AWK

Hello, I have a file which has the following format: I have to do is sort individual records in the file based on the 4th field. Each record starts with "Module". Is there an easy way to do this using awk. I have tried piping output from awk to sort and also using "sort" inside awk but... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifteate
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reformat one record from two records

I have not get much answer/solution for the posting. Here I break down the question and hope to get some help. 1. How can I use AWK to read in two records at the same time and keep loop to next two when the condition is meet? position 1-10 --> Unique to identity whether... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menglm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Records from 1 Record

I need to make one record to multiple records based on occurence column in the record and change the date.For example below first record has 5 ,so need to create 5 records from one and change the date to 5 months.Occurence can be any number. I am unable to come with a script.Can some one help ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: traininfa
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

keeping last record among group of records with common fields (awk)

input: ref.1;rack.1;1 #group1 ref.1;rack.1;2 #group1 ref.1;rack.2;1 #group2 ref.2;rack.3;1 #group3 ref.2;rack.3;2 #group3 ref.2;rack.3;3 #group3 Among records from same group (i.e. with same 1st and 2nd field - separated by ";"), I would need to keep the last record... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a file of book records

I have a texinfo file containing book records and I want to sort them. An example is shown below. Records are separated by two blank lines. The sort pattern I want to sort is starting from the beginning of the year declaration and finishing at the beginning of the book title where I use the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
4 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)