Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem scripting a copy and renaming shell executable Post 302932058 by ilovedoritos on Monday 19th of January 2015 12:32:15 AM
Old 01-19-2015
Code Problem scripting a copy and renaming shell executable

I also posted this on macrumors forum, then i realized that this is a more suitable forum for matters like this. I apologize for the username, I was looking at a bag of doritos when it asked me for a username. lol

I need a program (see below for what I've tried) and I think a shell program will work.

I need a program that will read each line and copy a specific JPEG to a folder and rename it sequentially as it copies them. It has to be in the order that the list.txt is in.

I have had some luck with writing a shell script for it.

I have a text file named list.txt
it looks exactly like this when you open it
and the picture that each of these contains is a picture of the letter or number or punctuation.

Code:
b.jpeg
e.jpeg
g.jpeg
i.jpeg
n.jpeg
n.jpeg
i.jpeg
n.jpeg
g.jpeg
spacebar.jpeg
g.jpeg
o.jpeg
d.jpeg
spacebar.jpeg
c.jpeg
r.jpeg
e.jpeg
a.jpeg
t.jpeg
e.jpeg
d.jpeg

the files above write "beginning god created", but I want to do this to a book. or anything else I want.

I have been using these commands
Code:
cp `cat list.txt` new-folder/

This sorta successfully copies the files listed in list.txt but won't copy a file with the same name in the same folder.
The date/time when it was copied to the folder on each file isn't accurate because of the duplicate file name issue.
Since I am only using pictures of the 26 letters and 10 numbers and punctuation of the alphabet, I will obviously be running into the duplicate file name issue, I will be copying the same files many times over depending on the text in list.txt
So I figure that I need to rename them as they are pasted in the new folder.

So I use this to rename them.

Code:
find . -name '*.jpeg' \
| awk 'BEGIN{ a=0 }{ printf "mv %s %04d.jpeg\n", $0, a++ }' \
| bash

This successfully renames the original JPEG's, but in the wrong folder and I need the ones copied to be renamed, not the source JPEG's

and finally this piece to somehow combine them
Code:
cat [filename] | while read line; do [command] "$line"; done

Ive tried all kinds of mutations to get it to work and it looks something like this

Code:
cd Desktop/test
cp `cat list.txt` new-folder/ | while read line; do find . -name '*.jpeg' | awk 'BEGIN{ a=0 }{ printf "mv %s %04d.jpeg\n", $0, a++ }' | bash "$line"; done

what am i missing? and doing wrong? I also need to to wait for each JPEG to be copied and renamed before going to the next line in list.txt
I need the files copied and renamed in order. If you help me, treat me stupid when it comes to programming, because I am pretty much clueless.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Renaming an executable file

HI How to rename an executable file in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting problem

her i am trying to edit a database file which is actually a small file holding my friend's name and birthdays My Database DEEPAK 27/08 DEEPIKA 18/02 DHYAN 23/03 DIPANKAR 24/10 SNIGDHO 19/05 AYANNAR 17/12 BHAI 22/09 DEBAN 16/08 JAGADISH 02/06 SUBHOJIT 23/02 TOJO 17/09 SUDHIR 12/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting and ls -1 problem

Hey, I'm running knoppix and I'm trying to run a shell script to change multiple lines of text in multiple files #!/bin/sh for i in 'ls-1 test' do sed 's/bob/manny/'g $i > $i.0 mv $i.0 $i done Obviously this isn't the original file, but it's on another non-networked machine. What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting problem

Hi guys, I am a newbie to shell scripting.Please help me to accomplish this task. Its very urgent,I should create a script which will do the following: i) "cd ~joseph/ ; mkdir -p Bing/Bong ;mkdir -p Bing/Bang" and then create 15 ".txt" files with content "Bing Bang Bong" in "Bong"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh_raghu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in loops in shell scripting

Hi, #!/bin/ksh $v="" for ((i = 1 ; i <= 5 ; i++ )) do v="THerrFile_$i.err"; grep -i "$i:Error" $v >>oraerror_output.txt done My requirement is to dynamically create variable like THerrFile_1.err,THerrFile_2.err etc. where my grep needs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting Problem...

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all,,, I am trying to finish my assignment for my CNET class. I am running into 2 problems... First the "Delete a file" (Option 1) When I run this option everything... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozman911
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting: Copy Files with Today's date

I was wondering the best way about finding files that were created today and copy them to a directory (grep ?). There can be multiple files for todays date or none. I am looking to copy all of the .lis files for todays date. I may need to modify the filename to include todays date but for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh shell scripting to copy a file

Hi. I am a new Unix admin and I've been tasked to write a ksh script that copies my .profile into my /home directory on all servers. I'm new to this and having a difficult time scripting it. Any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_tech
6 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Need support for a shell scripting problem

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problem

Hello. I hava homework for university but i cant do it and i need a little help if someone can help me :) I have to do a linux shell script. Write a script that does the following: 1. Check if there is a directory in / home with myDir name. If not, it creates it. 2. In the directory it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex4o0o
1 Replies