Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Displaying command return in one line Post 302931471 by Ditto on Tuesday 13th of January 2015 09:46:38 AM
Old 01-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. BASU
Tried setting the line size using myriad commands. However I keep getting the error message 'linesize option not a valid number' which is really weird since I am giving 400 which is definitely a valid number.

To be clear I am launching both queries together which is:

set lines 400;SELECT <column_name> FROM <table_name>;

This is because I ideally would not like to again have to create a script file (since that would mean an extra component.

Anywhere specific that I could be going wrong?
Irregardless of your final destination, you have a problem, and are troubleshooting.

Create a script file for test purposes .. and see how it behaves ...
You just might find how much easier it is to troubleshoot Smilie

Once you have things figured out, you can always splice it back into your "one-liner" solution if you need it Smilie

[edit]
fully working sample ... try to setup this working sample first .. then change "my.sql" to use your query instead of the select * from dual .. and see what changes.

Code:
unix > more *
::::::::::::::
my.sql
set linesize 400
set pause off

select *
  from dual;

sql.ksh
{
sqlplus -s /nolog << EOF
   connect myid/password@dbname
   @./my.sql
   exit
EOF
}   >./my_log.log    2>&1

unix > ksh sql.ksh
unix > ls -ltr
total 6
-rw-r-----   1 ditto    group1         57 Jan 13 09:48 my.sql
-rw-r-----   1 ditto    group1        121 Jan 13 09:51 sql.ksh
-rw-r-----   1 ditto    group1         83 Jan 13 09:51 my_log.log
unix > more my_log.log

D
-
X

unix >

[/edit]

Last edited by Ditto; 01-13-2015 at 10:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the first line?

how do i display just the first line of a file with the cat command or any command for that matter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imuuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying the path in the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as: cal -y | awk '{print $2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying Return Codes

This is a high-level explanation, if more details are needed, please do not hesitate to ask. I have a set of .ctl files which I want to execute: AV1.ctl AV2.ctl AV3.ctl I have a script which has a for loop in it: for filename in AV1 AV2 AV3 do . execute_another_script.sh done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies
MDBTools(1)															       MDBTools(1)

NAME
mdb-sql - SQL interface to MDB Tools SYNOPSIS
mdb-sql [-HFp] [-d delimiter] [-i file] [-o file] [database] DESCRIPTION
mdb-sql is a utility program distributed with MDB Tools. mdb-sql allows querying of an MDB database using a limited SQL subset language. OPTIONS
-H Supress header row. -F Supress footer row. -p Turn off pretty printing. By default results are printed in an ascii table format which looks nice but is not conducive to manipu- lating the output with unix tools. This option prints output plainly in a tab separated format. -d Specify an alternative column delimiter. If no delimiter is specified, columns will be delimited by a tab character if pretty print- ing (-p) is turned off. If pretty printing is enabled this option is meaningless. -i Specify an input file. This option allows an input file containing the SQL to be passed to mdb-sql. See Notes. -o Specify an output file. This option allows the name of an output file to be used instead of stdout. COMMANDS
mdb-sql in interactive mode takes some special commands. connect to <database> If no database was specified on the command line this command is necessary before any querys are issued. It also allows the switch- ing of databases once in the tool. disconnect Will disconnect from the current database. go Each batch is sent to the parser using the 'go' command. reset A batch can be cleared using the 'reset' command. list tables The list tables command will display a list of available tables in this database, similar to the mdb-tables utility on the command line. describe table <table> Will display the column information for the specified table. quit Will exit the tool. SQL LANGUAGE
The currently implemented SQL subset is quite small, supporting only single table queries, no aggregates, and limited support for WHERE clauses. Here is a brief synopsis of the supported language. select: SELECT [* | <column list>] FROM <table> WHERE <where clause> column list: <column> [, <column list>] where clause: <column> <operator> <literal> [AND <where clause>] operator: =, =>, =<, <>, like, <, > literal: integers, floating point numbers, or string literal in single quotes NOTES
When passing a file (-i) or piping output to mdb-sql the final 'go' is optional. This allow constructs like echo "Select * from Table1" | mdb-sql mydb.mdb to work correctly. The -i command can be passed the string 'stdin' to test entering text as if using a pipe. ENVIRONMENT
MDB_JET3_CHARSET Defines the charset of the input JET3 (access 97) file. Default is CP1252. See iconv(1). MDBICONV Defines the output charset. Default is UTF-8. mdbtools must have been compiled with iconv. MDBOPTS semi-column separated list of options: o use_index o no_memo o debug_like o debug_write o debug_usage o debug_ole o debug_row o debug_props o debug_all is a shortcut for all debug_* options HISTORY
mdb-sql first appeared in MDB Tools 0.3. SEE ALSO
gmdb2(1) mdb-export(1) mdb-hexdump(1) mdb-prop(1) mdb-ver(1) mdb-array(1) mdb-header(1) mdb-parsecsv(1) mdb-schema(1) mdb-tables(1) AUTHORS
The mdb-sql utility was written by Brian Bruns. BUGS
The supported SQL syntax is a very limited subset and deficient in several ways. 0.7 13 July 2013 MDBTools(1)